Smells nice too.

JamieMcC · 2109

Offline JamieMcC

on: December 02, 2013, 01:08:29 AM
I kept looking for another way to put it and really wanted to resist the opportunity however there really is no other to say it but

My Crack smells lovely!     

I used a wood oil not just on the exterior but also on the interior of the wood enclosure mainly because I wanted to test if the clear finish I planned for the outside would react with the wood oil on a unseen section prior to coating the outside of the enclosure.

When the Crack starts to get hot this wonderful aroma from the wood oil/polish mix used starts whafting out!

« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 01:12:31 AM by JamieMcC »

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 04:32:49 AM
I found the same, also used oil based stain and varnished it from the inside out but its the wood i can smell more than the stain.  Its very noticeable if you leave the room for a while and come back, same smell that i got when it was hot from the router or sanding it.  I really like the quality of the wood, the photos in the website/manual really don't do it justice.

M.McCandless

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 05:46:40 AM
So I can turn my stereo into a Febreez Set & Refresh, I.E. room deodorizer?

Ok, pulling your leg there.  Febreez doesn't have this scent. 

I am glad to hear this.  I enjoy the fragrance of wood and a proper finish.  My bases are sealed on the outside but this opens the opportunity for me to oil the inside and get that good wood fragrance.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 06:34:01 AM
I really like the quality of the wood, the photos in the website/manual really don't do it justice.
In the last month or so, we have noticed the aesthetic quality of the alder go up a notch or two for some reason.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

audiophileboss

Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 02:59:45 PM
I love the smell of tube gear in the morning...actually all day any day

Offline Mike B

Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 03:55:29 PM
No smells for me.  I just put a few coats of Minwax "clear" satin poly on the outside.  They even warn you that it don't stay clear for long.  You get a little yellow.  Which is cool, I know it's gonna go down a couple shades.  Also why I don't like stain with it.  Kinda unpredictable.

It does bring out the "figure".  Which is really why I like it.  That wonderful 3D shimmer from deep in the wood.  Yeah, pics can never show the shimmer, but it is there in both Stereomour and Crack.  Nice wood.

Never tried oil, guess I should. 

You "oil" guys, does the wood have "figure"?

Far away from the bleeding edge

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 05:45:31 PM
I'm an oil guy, you should try tung oil. I have had great success with it and it is super easy to apply.

I think nothing brings out the depth and beauty of wood, than an oil finish ...John 

John Scanlon

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 09:05:54 PM
I also like Tung oil I used it for the Crack in a Danish wood oil mix of 50%Tung oil & varnish.  For the Crack I mixed in a little extra oil based varnish with it,  5 coats then its all sealed up with lots of automotive clear to get that wet look depth of shine.  Flatted back with 2000 wet and dry, cut and polished it comes up just beautiful.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 09:53:41 PM by JamieMcC »

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!