Advice installing Triad C7-X chokes

Tom-Huffman · 2438

Offline Tom-Huffman

on: December 02, 2013, 06:27:40 PM
I know to put them as far away from the transformers as possible but it is hard for me to visualize.
Do any of you have specific suggestions or photos?  Do the leads need to be kept to the minimum or does it make any difference?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 04:13:08 AM
Tom,

Try installing it temporarily with long leads.  Twist them and try different positions for mounting while listening for hum.  It is a pragmatic approach. 

And please post back with what you find.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 04:37:54 AM
Subscribed.

I have a pair of C3-X's on order for my S.E.X. amp so interested to hear/see possible placement solutions.

M.McCandless

Offline Daikini

Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 04:51:45 AM
I left the leads long, and built a shelf across the underside of the base for them to sit on. They ended up in the front, sort of between and below the tube sockets. This placement was motivated more by where they would physically fit among all the big film caps I put in than any noise assessment. Adding the chokes in this position did not seem to increase hum.

David Gray

Empire 208/Jelco 750d/Nagaoka mp300 -> Seduction -> Stereomour ->Klipsch Heresy IIs w/ dual Polk PSW10s
Sony CDP-CX235 -> Schiit OptiModi -> Sex 2.1 -> Madisound BK-12m/Hifiman HE400

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 06:13:50 AM
So, hovering on standoffs above the volume pot?  If there was no added noise you are good to go and it looks like a good location.  I would have worried that the choke might radiate into the volume pot. 

This is why it is good to try things.  You never know.

Offline Daikini

Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 08:38:41 AM
I think standoffs would be good, but what I did is not that complicated. Or smart  ;)

I glued a shelf of particle board to the bottom of the base, and the chokes sit on it. That's all. I meant to zip tie them to the shelf, but never got around to it. It ain't mechanically secure, but I don't ever move the amp.

Here are some pics, from the front of the amp with the top partly lifted up. It's stuffed with caps, nowhere else for the chokes to go.

David Gray

Empire 208/Jelco 750d/Nagaoka mp300 -> Seduction -> Stereomour ->Klipsch Heresy IIs w/ dual Polk PSW10s
Sony CDP-CX235 -> Schiit OptiModi -> Sex 2.1 -> Madisound BK-12m/Hifiman HE400

Offline Tom-Huffman

Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 06:17:50 PM
I am going to disconnect the volume pot so that will not be a problem.  Can the chokes be close together or should they be separated about like the transformers?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 03:24:42 AM
Chokes radiate magnetic fields.  If you need them to be close then turn one 90 degrees to the other.  That cancels the fields.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 03:35:42 AM
If you run into problems with noise, try what I did in my sex amp and super glue the chokes to the bottoms of the transformers already under the chassis.  This may sound funny but Bottlehead is already doing this by stacking the transformers on top of one another. The laminations are all in line with one another and you shouldn't have any interference. My superglued chokes haven't had an issue yet and if you wanted to get fancy you could use stand offs.

In my SEX amp I have four pair of transformers stacked on one another with zero audible increase in hum all super glued together :)

Aaron Johnson