Wailin' Jennys

Grainger49 · 7226

Offline Grainger49

on: December 05, 2013, 11:44:53 AM
It looks like no one but Paully and I have discovered this group.  I fell in love with it when a buddy, Doug, brought a copy when he came to visit.  He has introduced me to a number of albums that were great!

I just listened to their first album, 40 Days, for about the hundredth time.  The music is simple and original.  The recording is amazing, the voices are amazing, the soundstage... well, you get it. 

Anyway listening on the Orca/Dungeness system has brought things out that were buried before.  I'm awfully happy with my system now.

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 12:18:09 PM
Make that plus one  :) they have a great sound, its a style of music which is close to my heart the honest no place to hide vocals are a joy to listen to and amazing when done right.  Was it you who was talking about them on head fi or here about their version of The Parting Glass? Beautiful harmonies which got my attention as its a favorite of mine by sung by Cara Dillon who I saw sing it recently. I did take a look on Amazon they have several albums out any which you would recommend?

Jamie

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 12:21:36 PM
Jamie,

I'm not on Head-Fi.  I use the same moniker everywhere.

Have you heard the live album?

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 12:29:40 PM
No I was wondering which would be a good first purchase..I have just been streaming from youtube to the headphones so not so good quality wise.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 12:31:28 PM by JamieMcC »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 02:50:22 PM
First get the first album, 40 Days.  Then the live album, don't remember the name now.  It has some repeats from the first album but is much longer and has a great cover of Summertime, acapella.

Offline jdm

Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 03:22:24 PM
Grainger,

The Wailin' Jennys are a local group and play the Folk Festival and other venues around here regularly.

Jim

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 03:27:12 PM
I've heard them on Prairie Home Companion, more than once I think. Not my cup of tea, but what they do, they do really well. (Not THAT big a Keilor fan either, but I listen to NPR in the car, and it's on at a time I drive regularly.)

Paul Joppa

Offline Paully

Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 04:22:47 PM
That "where do you go when it snows little bird" song is just amazing.  Love the 40 Days album.  The rest of their material that I listened to seemed pretty uneven, which is of course exactly what Grainger told me when I asked him about their other albums.

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 11:20:22 PM
Think I will give the "40 Days album" a go.

Offline Paully

Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 02:45:49 AM
It is truly an outstanding effort.  Well worth listening to.  Report back!

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 09:27:16 PM
Will do I have it on order now 7-14 days for delivery to the UK.

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 01:15:58 AM
Well I can safely say the 40 days album is just my cup of tea, I must have listened to it half a dozen times already over the last couple of days.

Lots of good tracks, Saucy Sailor makes me smile. The stand out track for me has to be "Arlington" and wow what a song, the percussion intro seems to mislead intentionally then in come those acoustic guitars capturing it , taming and guiding the percussion, mellowing it paving the way into those beautiful vocals which completely change the mood and feel of the song from its start.

The vocals on Arlington are spellbinding with a kind of fragility about them, seriously good stuff which conveys emotion and captures you, so you end up pausing in what every your doing to listen.  With the Crack and headphones it was goose bump territory for me. What more can you ask for. 

« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 01:19:36 AM by JamieMcC »

Offline Paully

Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 01:56:58 AM
Sweet, glad you liked it.  Arlington is certainly my favorite song on the album as well.

Offline dubiousmike

Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 09:55:48 PM
+ one more  ;)  Bright Morning Stars is actually quite a good album as well.  But The Parting Glass, off 40 days, is definitely my favorite of their tracks.  I just can't get enough of that sort of tight consonant vocal harmony.

Mike M.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 12:04:44 AM
The Parting Glass has to be my favorite too.  By the end of the album I am usually so relaxed.  Live At The Mauch Chunk Opera House (2009) is kind of a best of.  There is a cover of Summertime that starts acapella and may end that way too.