Yet another one up and running

paulw · 13981

Offline paulw

• 2A3 = Music
    • My Hobby Site
on: March 10, 2010, 01:44:46 PM
Put one together last night - 3 hours from start to finish - and just played a couple of tracks to see all was OK.  Took the inspiration for my case from corndog71's - but didn't have any foam so used some polystyrene, which will do nicely for now, but there is a Hammond chassis on the way.

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi142.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fr81%2F4will8%2FQ14.jpg&hash=bf92beec7d5cf0b739bb3de761e04d153e7bacd8)

Got to say I'm not to enamoured with acrylic, especially in a dark colour as it shows every mark - probably the longest part of the build was trying to polish off (unsuccessfully) all the finger prints.

Just spent the last three hours listening and like everyone else, the tubes are really micro-phonic - not that I'm too worried as it only seems a real problem when switching between inputs.  However, the other thing I get is as I go to adjust the volume, when my hand gets near the tubes there is a distinct hum.  This increases with the proximity to the tubes but no other part (input/output sockets or plugs) again no real issue just find it a bit curious.

Initial listening (remember only three hours on the clock) provided a detailed overall sound, with a bit of upper mid 'grain' or coarseness and a euphonic bass.  The latter I feel is probably down to the tube micro-phonics and may even be a cause of the former mentioned 'grain' but it really is too early to judge - but they are only 6 foot away from my 15 inch bass units!  The only other criticism is the volume pot which tracks really badly with an at worst 24k ohm difference between channels and only really gets it together just past where I usually set the volume - 1st upgrade perhaps?

In a previous post I mentioned I was going to do a different top plate layout, but decided to build one stock first.  I've also got the PJCCS, but to be honest the last thing I really want is extra gain, it seems just right as it is into my Paramour II's.  Would be nice to have the other benefits though, anyway the primary reason for getting Quickie initially was to swap it with my Foreplay which need some essential maintenance to all the switch gear.

Paul Williams
Acoustic Signature Challenger (with 3 arms) Entre SUT+Seduction, Smash(out) & Quickie(in again), Paramour II's, 7 Pi Corner Horns or Quad 44, Quad 405-2 & Videoton Minimax GB3.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 02:22:16 PM
Nice job on the assembly!

To get the finger prints off, look for Novus #1 or Brillianize plastic cleaner, and use a soft cloth (no paper towels).  Generally you could buff them off with a microfiber towel.

If the pot is indeed tracking that badly, replacing it seems reasonable.  You could also add some series resistance between the selector switch and the volume pot in order to more easily reach the range where the balance is right. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline TheSparkle

Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 02:28:21 PM
I notice that as I turn the volume pot from 'zero' onward the right channel is audible first, but then later they 'catch up with each other'.  Is that the same symptom that you describe?

Offline paulw

• 2A3 = Music
    • My Hobby Site
Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 02:48:26 PM
I notice that as I turn the volume pot from 'zero' onward the right channel is audible first, but then later they 'catch up with each other'.  Is that the same symptom that you describe?

Yes that's the same problem and is normal with low cost pots, but a bit excessive here starting at 24k out and not getting in balance until just over half way round - my ideal volume position is about at a third of the travel, perhaps it just needs some use.

Paul
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 01:31:51 AM by paulw »

Paul Williams
Acoustic Signature Challenger (with 3 arms) Entre SUT+Seduction, Smash(out) & Quickie(in again), Paramour II's, 7 Pi Corner Horns or Quad 44, Quad 405-2 & Videoton Minimax GB3.

Offline IceOgre

Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 01:27:46 AM
I have the same problem.  This is the only issue I have with the Quickie.  The imbalance of the left and right channel at low volume is frustrating (especially when you was to listen after the kids go to bed).  I am going to switch upgrade output caps and volume pot in the next couple of weeks.  Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent volume pot for under $50.  I saw that Bottlehead used to offer the Sweetest Whispers.  Do they still offer that pot in a kit form?  I did not see it in their store.

Alternatively, what spec of resistor, or range could I add as a buffer to balance out the sound with the current pot?

Thanks,

Don

Offline paulw

• 2A3 = Music
    • My Hobby Site
Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 01:35:16 AM
I was going to go with a basic Alps pot.

Paul

Paul Williams

Offline paulw

• 2A3 = Music
    • My Hobby Site
Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 08:03:22 AM
Now looks like this
(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi142.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fr81%2F4will8%2FQ16.jpg&hash=d2eb1f0fe4b64f7776a2fc0628cde6146d8d49bf)
mounted on a Hammond chassis.

Paul

Paul Williams

Offline Grainger49

Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 08:44:53 AM
Paul, that is a nice neat build but you lost the lottery on top plate colors.  I am not a fan of any shade of purple.  It is a personal preference.  I would have spray painted that one if I got it.

I'm just commiserating with you here.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 09:06:02 AM
If you're looking for a decent upgrade pot, look for the dual log PEC potentiometer on Digikey.  Parts Connexion also has some reasonably priced pots. 

Still, I would put resistance in series with the stock pot, as that will move the "listening range" on the pot up a bit, away from the low end where the matching can be iffy. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline paulw

• 2A3 = Music
    • My Hobby Site
Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 09:20:00 AM
Paul, that is a nice neat build but you lost the lottery on top plate colors.  I am not a fan of any shade of purple.  It is a personal preference.  I would have spray painted that one if I got it.

I'm just commiserating with you here.

Have to agree about the colour - but that's the way it goes :-)  Got some 12x9 mirror finish acrylic in the garage and a 10x8 wood base, so perhaps a transplant is in order.

Paul

Paul Williams

Offline Grainger49

Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 09:20:21 AM
 .  .  .    Still, I would put resistance in series with the stock pot, as that will move the "listening range" on the pot up a bit, away from the low end where the matching can be iffy.  

In addition to moving the range each degree gives a smaller increment in sound.  That allows you to get the "right" level more easily.  Well, that is the reason I do it.

Offline bundee1

Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 10:00:56 AM
I actually dont mind the purple. Its pretty bold but could blend into an all black setup. Nice quickie.

What brand of tubes are those?
How did you secure the top plate to the chassis?

Offline TheSparkle

Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 11:12:48 AM

Still, I would put resistance in series with the stock pot, as that will move the "listening range" on the pot up a bit, away from the low end where the matching can be iffy. 

What type of resistor and exactly where would it be attached and soldered please?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 11:58:02 AM

What type of resistor and exactly where would it be attached and soldered please?

I would start with a pair of 100k film resistors.  Metal film or carbon film is just fine.  These are available at Radio Shack or just about any other shop that sells resistors.  If that cuts the level too much, step down in value to 47k, if you feel like you could use a little more padding, go up to 200k.  (Just don't use wirewound resistors for this purpose)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline paulw

• 2A3 = Music
    • My Hobby Site
Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 12:54:29 PM
I actually dont mind the purple. Its pretty bold but could blend into an all black setup. Nice quickie.

What brand of tubes are those?
How did you secure the top plate to the chassis?

The tubes are branded Aladdin, these aren't the ones supplied which were Motorola.  They were a shade less micro-phonic and a better match pair so I used them instead.  I already had some 3S4's but never had anything to plug them into - indeed a few years ago I was offering to give them away free to anyone who could use them, but didn't get any takers!

The top plate is held on by 6 self tapping screws.  I taped the plate to the chassis and drilled through both with the correct size for the screws, then set the depth stop (got a pillar drill) to just clear the top plate with a drill sized for a loose fit on the screws.

Paul.

Paul Williams