next upgrade

aragorn723 · 1925

Offline aragorn723

on: December 14, 2013, 03:29:35 PM
Hi,

I built the Quickie 1.1 stock, and yesterday added the PJCCS, which added a lot of bass and imaging too.  The difference was definitely night and day.  I listened to it for quite a few hours, but wonder what would be the next step to get more clarity out of the Quickie.  Would it be the volume pot, coupling caps, or something else?  It will probably be a while before I do anything more to modify it, at this point its curiosity  8)  In the mean time, I need to build a case..  The first one I built was too big, and the miters didn't come out so nice, so i'm going to try and cut it down to a smaller size (the wood glue is so strong it won't separate, so i'll probably have to have to cut the miters off the box-and might wind up having to do it over again lol). 

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 04:27:51 PM
I've only just built one too with PJCCS, so far i'm very impressed with the clarity from it.

The biggest upgrade without doubt will be the 2.2uf output caps, i have found a few candidates that are cheap i want to experiment with.. obviously you could fit paper/oil caps from the big brands but two of those would cost more than the Quickie did  :)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 04:32:44 PM by mcandmar »

M.McCandless

Offline aragorn723

Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 04:53:55 PM
I've only just built one too with PJCCS, so far i'm very impressed with the clarity from it.

The biggest upgrade without doubt will be the 2.2uf output caps, i have found a few candidates that are cheap i want to experiment with.. obviously you could fit paper/oil caps from the big brands but two of those would cost more than the Quickie did  :)

Well I guess it's only been a day, so it's not fair to say the PJCCS is broken in yet.. I have maybe 5 hours on it?  Did you notice a difference in clarity when adding the PJCCS?  Maybe its just because of the increase in bass that it seems like the clarity decreased a little?  If anything, the difference was slight, maybe i've over-analyzing it  8)  Gonna let this thing break in some more probably..  No sense putting too much $$ into it, it does have a certain magic though!

Offline mcandmar

Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 05:11:24 PM
To be honest i didn't really listen to it that much, i just built it, tested it, and as soon as i had the PJCCS board assembled it went in.  It probably only ran for 30mins or so without it :)

M.McCandless

Offline aragorn723

Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 03:38:04 AM
You know what, I think this clarity thing has something to do with using itunes as a source.  Most of my files are lossless (which sound amazing) and the others are just ok..  Prob no fault of the Quickie.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 05:28:32 AM
Well, the Quickie doesn't have any iron so my suggestion for clarity is caps.  My suggestion is polypropylene film caps.

Buy the lowest voltage available in any cap you install, the batteries will never damage them.

The output (coupling) cap is most important, but I think the cathode bypass cap can be improved.  That is, if it isn't removed for the PJCCS.  I don't know about where it goes.  I would expect a plate load rather than the cathode.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 06:20:55 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline STURMJ

Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 06:13:42 AM
The best thing about upgrading the caps, is that the voltages are low.  Lower voltage ratings means cheaper.

Offline mcandmar

Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 06:45:33 AM
Well, the Quickie doesn't have any iron so my suggestion for clarity is caps.  My suggestion is polypropylene film caps.

Buy the lowest voltage available in any cap you install, the batteries will never damage them.

The output (coupling) cap is most important, but I think the cathode bypass cap can be improved.  That is, if it isn't removed for the PJCCS.  I don't know about where it goes.  I would expect a plate load rather than the cathode.

I was wondering how critical the value of the 150uf 16v cap is?  I have a candidates in my box of tricks that are either higher or lower in value,

Panasonic FM 100uf & 220uf 50v
Elna Silmic II 100uf 25v
Rubycon YXG 100uf 35v

For the 2.2uf output cap i was thinking of these,

Claritycap ESA 2.2uf 250v -

M.McCandless

Offline Grainger49

Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 07:20:39 AM
This is where I always suggest you put in 4 alligator clip jumpers and see which you prefer.  I did this comparing a stack of capacitors on my Eros.

When you decide and solder them in they will sound a tiny bit better for the installation.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 09:18:05 AM

Is the cathode bypass cap the small electrolytic guy?  The only thing that came out during PJCCS install was the 2 plate resistors.  Sooner or later i will have to visit capacitor nirvana!  Thanks.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 10:05:50 AM
Yes, they would be the smaller caps.

The biggest difference will be heard from replacing the capacitors that couple to the output RCA jacks.