Thanks for all the orders!

Doc B. · 19559

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 06:02:13 PM
For low impedance headphones, there are two considerations - how much current they need, and whether they are tolerant of the standard 120-ohm source impedance.

The AKG701 is specified at 105dB for 1 volt input - relatively insensitive. The required current for 102dB would be about 16mA peak. Its impedance (from the Stereophile review) is quite flat below 10kHz, so it will not be very sensitive to source impedance - no special precautions needed. With a low drive impedance, the inductive rise of the phones above 10kHz might drop the response a few dB at 20kHz. If they seem bright in the highest octave, a lower drive impedance might help a bit, but otherwise I'd say they are well suited for the standard source impedance.

I am working on a white paper on headphone impedance matching focussed on Bottlehead applications, but it won't say much more than what is on the head-wize site. Some good stuff there!

Paul Joppa

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 06:39:15 PM
I can save you the trouble, get the HD-600's.  Having owned both the HD-600, and the K-701, the HD-600 is an easy choice for most listeners.  The K-701 does shine pretty well on the SEX amp, but the HD-600 is still preferable IMO.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Todd R

Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 04:33:27 AM
Any estimate of when in April the Crack will start shipping?

Offline Bryon

Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 05:26:50 PM
:)

I ordered mine tonight - did I get one first?

Bryon

Offline Paully

Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 04:39:50 AM
Ha!  You win, damn it.  :)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 08:21:58 AM
Shipping of the first production run got hung up a few days this week when we got the wrong kind of hook up wire. The correct wire should be here tomorrow or Monday and the first run should begin shipping Monday. The second production run has been selling really fast and as of this morning 80% of our total production is sold. Parts for the third run have not been ordered yet, so get in on this second run soon or figure to be waiting even a few weeks more to get your kit. At the current sales pace second run kits will probably all be sold by some time next week.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #21 on: April 16, 2010, 09:05:13 AM
Cool.  Can't wait to get mine.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 07:19:47 AM
We are starting to pack Crack kits today. Jo is shooting for getting as many of the first run as possible packed today, with more to follow throughout the week. We continue to sell the second run at a good pace, with less than ten kits left as of this morning.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Dr. Toobz

Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 01:22:00 PM
Nothing like getting that "UPS Quantum View" email from BH! I feel like a kid on Christmas. Looks like I'll be enjoying some Crack this weekend....

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 01:33:56 PM
We didn't get quite as many shipped on the first day as I had hoped, but the first dozen or so folks who ordered have kits on the way with more shipping ASAP!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline pendergast

Reply #25 on: April 19, 2010, 04:13:17 PM
I am very excited about this kit. Looking forward for this big time!

Third Christmas of 2010 after the Quickie and another project.  Wooo Hooo!

Offline roger_s

Reply #26 on: April 19, 2010, 05:50:40 PM
My shipping notice was waiting in my email when I got home. UPS alleges it'll arrive Friday.  Can't wait to get started!

Offline Dyna Saur

• Yippie-Ki-Yay....
Reply #27 on: April 20, 2010, 05:40:55 AM
No "Quantum Mail" from UPS received here yet   :^(      IIRC, I was # 8 of the first batch of ten, ordered on March 21.   

Bottlehead - Order Confirmation for Order #1269200611

Ed B , forlorn in NC...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 05:44:10 AM by Dyna Saur »

ed brown

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #28 on: April 20, 2010, 07:02:57 AM
Hi Ed, I'm not sure where you got the impression you were #8. If we gave you that incorrect info I am sorry. Actually roger_s was #8 and your order is #27 of the first batch. Our first run is considerably more than ten units and we are working at full speed to get them all shipped as soon as possible.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Dyna Saur

• Yippie-Ki-Yay....
Reply #29 on: April 20, 2010, 02:22:31 PM
Hi Doc

Sorry about  that, my bad...    I misunderstood that  the grand total was much larger a quantity for the first tun, I thought it was ten units (as they say, the memory is the second thing to go, and I forgot what was the first).   Yeah, I read it, but it slipped away  from my few remaining functional braincells. 

How does one make an embarassed  red-faced blushing emoticon, anyway?   8^0  I guess that will have to do for now...

D'Oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    

/ed B in NC, no longer forlorn!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 02:26:14 PM by Dyna Saur »

ed brown