HD 6_0 Mod

Guest · 2661

audiophileboss

on: December 19, 2013, 08:59:38 AM
I was on the innerfidelty website when I stumbled across the Anaxilus mod for HD800s. Tried it out but didnt like it. But now I had 6 sheets of the creatology polyester sheets just lying around. Fast forward and I decided I would soon consolidate and sell my HD600s. I threw them on for a last whirl when a inner liner broke. Couldn't sell them in that shape so I just quickly used some of my polyester sheets to make a new one. Upon instalation and listening that ear sounded better than the unmoded one.

Fast forward and I created one for the other ear and did some more listening. I asked my uncle to come over and do a blind test. Well we got the same results.

The part where the liner touches our ears was a bit more comfy, more airy and breathable. Highs and mids a bit clearer and open. Imaging more detailed soundstage wider. Bass tighter and cleaner. We were shocked.

Well I suggest to all 11+ 600 650 owners to give it a try. Its under $5 a sheet. Don't expect a change so drastic it makes your headphones become 800s, but definetly is an upgrade. Feel free to leave comments below with your findings.

Instructions:

1) Purchase creatology or other 100% polyester 2mm sheet in desired colour.
2) Remove ear pad and liner
3) Cut a piece of polyester sheet to fit inside the plastic ring on the back of ear pads snuggly.
4) Insert and snap on
5) Listen away!

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 03:42:18 AM
Those experiments have been done before (thread on head-fi) and it basically messed up the SQ, the foam is there to dampen out the resonate shrill of the high end frequencys.

The stock foam liner can be ordered from Sennheiser for less than $1. http://headphonespares.sennheiser.co.uk/hifi-tv-headphones/hd-600-avantgarde  The only part you cant get are the drivers however the HD650 versions are only $50 each so you could upgrade your pair to 650 specs..

M.McCandless

audiophileboss

Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 05:00:22 AM
Objectivly, I am happier with them now. Just wanted to put it out there

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 06:55:50 AM
Please post your objective data.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

audiophileboss

Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 10:09:11 AM
Well I put my results in the opening comment. If I should have said subjective, then I appologize-I don't speak english well still learning