Jico SAS 1, stylus upgrade for P77 Cart

JamieMcC · 3813

Offline JamieMcC

on: December 27, 2013, 12:26:47 PM
With the arrival of a new Jico SAS stylus for my vintage P77 cart that's fitted on my Rega Planer, just before Christmas. I thought it was a good time to also start taking my approach to vinyl playback a bit more seriously so a Hi-Fi News Analogue test LP was also ordered.

(https://www.head-fi.org/image/id/5480726/width/900/height/900/flags/LL)

Key features of the SAS stylus 1 are it is of the boron cantilever and micro ridge tip type.

Initial observation, the Jico is so tiny the tip and cantilever look very delicate the tip is not visible with the naked eye and even with a magnifying glass it is hard to see.

After some fiddling with settings tracking down force was set at 1.20grm my cartridge set up was checked against the analogue test LP and performed well (which was a relief) in the entire test bar the most extreme tracking test 

« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 01:05:01 PM by JamieMcC »

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline johnsonad

Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 01:01:18 PM
I've used SAS stylus on at least 5 different carts and the effect is impressive to say the least!

Aaron Johnson

Offline BNAL

Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 01:44:32 PM
I took Aaron's advice and bought the Shure M97xe cartage and added the Jioc stylus. All I can say is that the shure was ok, but with the SAS it was a completely different and much improved sounding experience. In my system the SAS made the biggest improvement.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus