hd 600 detachable cable

tuffy_puppy · 4340

Offline tuffy_puppy

on: December 28, 2013, 03:03:17 PM
recently i purchased two pair of headphones.  audio technica ath w1000x and sennheiser hd 600.  the short version is that the senns sound vastly inferior to the ats.  in every respect with a possible exception of the bass.  had several confirmations of this opinion............then i notice that the hd 600s have a detachable cable.  it appears that  this cable is intended to be upgraded.  look on ebay and see that cables are available at just about any price point..........these ats are a new product and the sound is remarkable.  but i dislike the manner in which they fit my head.  the hd 600s, on the other hand,  are a real treat to wear and i would like to prefer them but cannot.  they sound like something that you would get at radio shack.  upgrade cable or forget 'em?????????  thanks,  don

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 05:44:13 PM
Cardas Makes a fine line of state of the art cables for Senns. My HD 600's sound glorious through the Cardas cable.

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 05:55:11 PM
A new cable is something nice down the line, give the Senn's a chance to break-in.  A couple hundred hours or so (really not that many, you'll be able to hear the sound get better day by day) and they'll clear up. 
If their already broken in, go for a new cable, that may add some sparkle and clear up the mids.

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 07:26:57 PM
recently i purchased two pair of headphones.  audio technica ath w1000x and sennheiser hd 600.  the short version is that the senns sound vastly inferior to the ats.

What are you amplifying these with?  They are vastly different headphones.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline tuffy_puppy

Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 04:30:28 AM
hi again,  thanks for the info.  not that i understand the significance but the ats are a 42 ohm hp.  the hd600s play at 300 ohms. i use a sex 2.1 with some upgrades.  still considering magnequest iron.  the problem is that i do not solder.  i have had this sex unit worked on by shawn when he worked at bottlehead. also a good friend has installed upgraded signal wire, rca receptacles, binding posts, caps, and on and on.  goldpoint switches were installed in the sex and the foreplay which serves the amp.  setup sounds very fine played through my 12" audio nirvana full range speakers using cain and cain cabinets.  i must confess that i did not know about a 200 hour break-in period for the hd600s was indicated.  so last night i left the tv operation on a low setting with the 600s hooked up to the preamp.  this will continue until the phones are indeed broken in......is it the case that sennheiser intends that this hp cable should be upgraded?  i have noticed that the audio technica cable is very much more stout when compared to the cable provided with the hd 600s.  so,  thanks for the help,  don

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 06:38:51 AM
Yes, upgrading the cable can make a significant improvement in clarity and Hank's suggestion of a Cardas cable is a good one. You might also look at the offerings from ALO Audio.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 06:59:49 AM
It is easy to play music, on repeat on a CD player, through your SEX amp and into the HD 600 headphones for 8 days.  You get to sample it as the break in period advances.

Believe us, there is a difference.  So it costs nothing to give that a try first.

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 11:10:42 AM
This is interesting I don't have HD600 but do have the Technica ath w1000x which I am on the verge of parting with I think they are good phones but I prefer the HD650+Crack, I am driving the ATH's via my receiver perhaps its not the best match.

Toxic cables seem to be popular choice for the 600 on head fi

http://toxic-cables.co.uk/index.php?route=common/home
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 11:12:45 AM by JamieMcC »

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline STURMJ

Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 11:47:25 AM
even if you used a solid state reciever to play the sens for a few days you will notice a difference. ( or anything else that can power them to normal listening levels)