Fix a fix ?

ffivaz · 5307

Offline ffivaz

on: December 30, 2013, 09:38:32 PM
Hi everyone,

I built the Fix in the two last evening. Everything went fine, an easy and enjoyable build. I put it between my Reduction and Stereomour, short cables. The sound is beautiful. But wait... it looks like the Fix isn't doing anything to the sound. I can change every setting without any change in sound, at least to my ears. I am close to deafness?

So my question : is there a way to check if the fix is working?

Fabien

PS: Happy new year to all of you. 2013 was my first year with Bottlehead and I am an example of BH's slogan : I was a first timer and  built an entire system. Thanks a lot to all of you!

Fabien Fivaz

Thorens TD 160, Denon DL-110, Hagerman Piccolo 2, Reduction (w/ Integration), 2A3 Stereomour, Fostex FE126En in Bk12m enclosures
Halide DAC HD, Crack (w/ Speedball), Sennheiser HD 650

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 06:49:37 AM
I thought it was only me....

I have the same situation, I can't tell any difference in any of the settings (but really between the tinnitus and age it has to be a significant change for me to notice).

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 08:35:07 AM
It can be helpful to only change one setting, then listen to a song you know well, then go back, then listen to the entire song again, etc.

Also, if you set the treble corner to 5K, then roll through the level settings there, going from 0dB to 4dB should be particularly audible.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 08:36:58 AM
The proper way to check is to measure the speaker frequency response. A lot of folks don't want to invest in the equipment. The changes are subtle. Knowing what to expect will let you hear the differences. Try running frequency sweeps. You can download free software that will work fine for this. Run the sweeps with and without the Fix switched into the signal path and you will probably be able to hear what it does.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 10:42:01 AM
I'm just beginning to feel human, the cold is breaking up.  So I will soon, tomorrow (?), assemble my Fix. 

I expect different focus and a slightly different balance.  Subtle is the key.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 09:52:48 AM
I have been working till I have a coughing fit and stopping for a while.  I haven't completed my assembly but I have what Clark suggested for my Orca Dungeness combo.  I realize that the highs are not being boosted, but instead the lows attenuated.  So after making a minor volume adjustment the results is additional highs for me. 

I definitely know it is making a difference in my system.

Offline debk

Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 09:01:39 AM
At first I thought the Fix didn't do much for me, but I too was making too many changes at once.
Give yourself some time, listen critically and change only one parameter at a time and you will notice a difference.

I did that this weekend and I am happy with the result!

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers