Anyone have experience with the Spica TC-50

tdogzthmn · 4209

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
on: January 11, 2014, 10:31:23 AM
Came across these speakers the other day and heard they were great for imaging mids.  Wondering if they are worth purchasing and if they work well with Bottlehead amps. 

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 12:22:32 PM
I had a buddy with them years ago.  They throw an astounding soundstage.  They are coherent. 

I don't have any information on their sensitivity, that was during more high powered days.

But I have always wanted a pair.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 01:15:42 PM
I have heard then and liked  them a lot. If I found a pair at a good price, I would buy them.

Not sure just how SET friendly they are though...john

John Scanlon

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 01:31:02 PM
Have any of you guys heard of this thing called "google?" It's on the internet. You can find the stereophile review in mere seconds, and look up the specs and their measurement of the same.  :^)

Efficiency is 83dB/w/m referred to the 4 ohm rating, and the impedance is relatively flat.

Paul Joppa

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 02:10:24 PM
I was able to find the specs for them, but I was mostly asking to see if people has some first hand impressions or experience listening to them. I have a 25 watt class A amp which should be sufficient but was hoping they would be driven well from my Stereomour.

Offline KevO

Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 04:29:27 PM
I had a pair of Spica TC-50 back in the day. Best $450 I spent on hi-fi. Beautiful mid-range and imaging.

Sound was way beyond their price class at the time.

A friend blew out the tweeters on his Spica's. The tweeters are a bit fragile, so don't turn them up real loud.

25 watts Class A will work well. I used a conrad-johnson MV45 which was a good match.

Enjoy!

-Kevin

Offline glynnw

Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 07:49:27 PM
I had TC50's, TC60's, and the Spica Subs when they were his latest models.  Loved them at the time, but a couple of years ago I bought a pair of TC50s and was really disappointed compared to more modern speakers. 

PC, J River software, opticaRendu, Schitt Ygg DAC,Tortuga Pre, Torta Radu tube buffer, Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10, Spatial Audio X5w/pair of GR Research dual 12" open baffle servo subwoofers tamed by DSpeaker Dual-Core DSP , Audience AU24 SE  spkr cable, handmade silver interconnects,

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 01:49:19 PM
I'll be looking forward to comparing them to my Orca's. 

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 05:08:45 PM
Got the TC-50's running off my Stereomour now.  Wow, these are quite a bit different sounding than the Orca's, but in a great way.  They do a great disappearing act like the Orca's do, but the sound is scaled up in size.  I'll let them play together for a few more hours before switching back to the Orca's.

Offline BNAL

Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 05:55:49 AM
I had TC-50s and Aggies and loved both the sound. The TC-50s do need bass reinforcement, but they do sound great. I have the Orcas and look forward to your comparison.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 05:57:38 AM by BNAL »

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 01:21:10 PM
I should also mention that I also have my Orca Sub hooked up to the TC-50 and I have used the gain and frequency dials set to pick up where the Spica woofers leave off.  The pair I picked up might actually be the TC-50i where the felt around the tweeter is a square cutout vs. the rectangular cut out of the earlier model.