Crack/Quickie merged headphone amp?

Sonido · 1006

Offline Sonido

on: January 16, 2014, 07:00:18 PM
I've been gushing about pairing the Quickie with the Crack, especially with HD800. The Quickie really changes up the sound signature coming out of the Crack, injecting life and euphony to the HD800. I added both the Speedball and PJCCS upgrades and while the Speedball does improve some fine technicalities like subtle detailing and better imaging, I found once again it was the upgrade from the Quickie that did more. The PJCCS really made the bass on the HD800 better, adding not just more, but more body, tactility, and impact to where it's frighteningly near the level of planar magnetics. This all has made my HD800 sound great for genres like rock and pop that people say the HD800 is weak in.

This got me wondering is it possible to merge the two into a single amp. If you guys are open to suggestions, and others report similar things with this pairing, perhaps a combined amp kit could be designed? Aside from spatial benefits, I would imagine you could power the Quickie preamp part with power from the cord, consolidate the volume knobs into one, and add a preamp out option. Also, it would probably cost less in materials than the amps separate.

Should you guys ever decide to go down this road, I've come up with a name as well! While "Quack" is the most logical name and rolls of the tongue well enough, it kinda gives a negative connotation (quack = fake). I suggest instead it be christened the Bottlehead Mallard since Quack is a sound ducks make and Bottlehead Duck sounds pretty lame.  ;D

On a side note, I've pretty much decided that my endgame will be the BeePre and Mainline for my HD800.  8)