CD player

Guest · 3383

audiophileboss

on: January 19, 2014, 03:54:36 PM
So I am in need of a relativly inexpensive player that will do cd-rs. Must have optical output. Any suggestions?

Offline physicsmajor

Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 07:59:22 PM
Check Craigslist and thrift stores, and Google for reviews (audiokarma usually has some comments about any old model). I found an Oppo 981HD that way, as well as my good old Redbook transport the Sony DVP-S7000. They've never blinked at a CD-R. A lot of people are offloading perfectly usable transports these days, as they "move up" to Blu-Ray.

Short of that, most everything with an optical drive these days is either prohibitively expensive or has very suspect build quality...

Offline Yoder

Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 08:41:58 AM
An old thread indeed, but a suggestion. For CD-R playback and even the capacity to write your own CD's the HHB 850 or 850+ are a good deal. They were very high-end years ago, built like tanks, are reasonably priced, and were built by Pioneer. http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may99/articles/hhb.htm

For just playing Redbook and for writing such disks it is a nice rig. Plus, it is very easy to mod (I have one and have slowing been upgrading it...op amps, caps, jacks, etc.) and the service manual is readily available on the web.