Seduction tech help

timbro52 · 10165

Offline timbro52

on: March 20, 2010, 09:34:38 AM
This is my first time on the forum and I'm a newbie kit builder. I have a S.E.X. kit under my belt and I'm currently building a Seduction. I've completed the standard kit and in doing my resistance checks everything is spot on except I'm getting 0 ohms at A3, B3 and A8, B8 (these are the LED connections) and I should be getting 1 Meg Ohm+. I've made sure the silver bands are pointing to the correct terminals and that all the solder joints are good. Frankly I'm at a loss as to what I've done wrong. Can anyone out there point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,

Tim

Tim Darby

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 10:09:59 AM
You may have a meter that will read different impedances depending on the orientation of the leads.  With one of my meters, I can actually light the LED's dimly if I have the probes oriented correctly. 

If the non-banded ends of the LED's are all connected to the tube socket pins, and the banded ends towards the ground plane, don't worry about these readings.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline timbro52

Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 10:20:26 AM
Thanks Paul! I'll move on to my voltage checks.

Tim

Tim Darby

Offline timbro52

Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 10:57:00 AM
Well I fired it up and the tubes glow but not the LEDS. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tim

Tim Darby

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 02:14:24 PM
If none of the LED's glow, that is an indicator that there is an issue in the high voltage power supply (where the three black capacitors are), such that no high voltage is getting to either of the tubes.  Do the voltage checks there, and do some inspection, you probably just missed a solder joint or something. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline timbro52

Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 01:46:01 PM
Thanks again Paul,

I think I've located the problem. I wired the 1K ohm 1/2W resistor to the wrong terminal (12-14 instead of 12-15) and now the leads are too short to make the jump. I'll be calling Bottlehead in the morning for a replacement.

Tim

Tim Darby