Another Quickie comes to life..

airdronian · 2545

Offline airdronian

on: January 25, 2014, 11:55:44 AM
Recently I soldered up the Quickie, and got around to testing it today.  Found I had to re-solder one of the d-cell leads that go to the rotary switch, but that was a quick fix.  Oh, I found it helps a great deal to actually turn the Quickie ON before doing the voltage tests..   :-[

Hooked it up to a test system and lo and behold it works !!  I'm in complete shock... this is my first attempt at any electronic project.  I still have to fiddle with the rotary switch but that's ok.

Thanks for providing a kit even I could make.

Mark Bridges

Offline aragorn723

Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 02:44:47 AM
Very cool, its a good feeling getting things to work  8)  Can you post some pictures?

Offline airdronian

Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 06:11:24 AM
I'd prefer not to post at the moment.  Still need to come up with a base for it.  The wiring on the underside is a bit of a dog's breakfast since I didn't know how much to trim components and had no spares in case I goofed. 

As I followed the instructions I found the "completed" pic at the end, after I had done all the steps.  Had I recognized that before I would have had better ideas on how to trim and route the wiring.  Definitely a learning experience.

I will be trying the Quickie with a little SE 6BQ5 amp soon and over the next couple months hope to try an open baffle speaker as well.  Who knows, I may be trying "The Fix" when I see what my results are then.

Mark Bridges

Offline aragorn723

Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 03:59:23 PM
No worries, having the experience of a first build is in education in and of itself.  The fact is, that it works, so that's all that matters. 

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 02:55:10 AM
Just my humble opinion but a Quickie build should be a prerequisite for building a Crack.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 03:42:17 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 03:13:56 AM
...like a gateway drug :)

Congrats airdronian you now officially have the diy bug.

M.McCandless

Offline airdronian

Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 02:59:06 PM

Thanks !  I might one day aspire to a Stereomour if things work out.

Mark Bridges

Offline airdronian

Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 03:50:37 AM

I think you're right... I'm recapping the crossover of some speakers today, as well as the coupling caps on the Quickie if I have time.  Plus there's some Betsy's on order.   ;D

Mark Bridges

Offline airdronian

Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 05:11:33 PM
An update to my experience with the Quickie, now that I have some hours on it. 

I find it works well with my 6BQ5 amps.  It has a lively quality and a wide soundstage in my system.  It's not perfect but it's entertaining to listen to - not sure how else to put it. Engaging maybe.   These days my other tube pre is gathering dust, I keep using the Quickie !  ;D

The kit I had was a gift, and wasn't ordered with any extras.  From the time I've had with it I find the Quickie is a keeper, so I will be ordering an enclosure (I messed the measurements on my DIY version) and the PJCCS, and of course the badge.

Looking forward to more hours on the Quickie, and with any luck try another Bottlehead kit sometime.

Mark Bridges

Offline Wanderer

Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 09:24:01 AM
Be sure to report back your impressions after the PJCCS runs in. 

Kevin R-M

Offline airdronian

Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 05:07:27 PM
Just heard back from the Queen and the order will go thru sometime soon.  Especially looking forward to the enclosure since the Quickie hasn't had a decent home.

So a little while ago a noise started in the right channel of the Quickie.  Not subtle and I knew something was wrong.  Because info on the site here I knew to look around for a dodgy solder joint.  Sure enough there it was where the ground bus attaches to the output post. Took maybe 5 minutes total to fix.

At the same time swapped out the stock 2.2uf caps for 2.7uf Clarity Caps.  These live up to their name and are going to need some hours on them I think.

Looking forward to the PJCCS.

Mark Bridges