Battery digital headphone system

xcortes · 4062

Offline xcortes

on: January 29, 2014, 07:49:23 AM
Seems like the new dac will be "portable" in the sense that it won't need to be connected to a wall to operate. A BH dac plus a headphone Quickie (and an ipad) would make for a SOTA headphone system for travel. Not that it will kill my wmd6c cassette deck, or will it?

Saludos

Xavier Cortes

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 02:25:04 PM
The perfect setup for the morining Jog 8)...John

John S.

Offline John Swenson

Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 10:13:42 AM
The standard BH chasis may not be the best approach for a portable system. You might be better off coming up with a single compact case that is designed for abuse, in which you can put both the DAC and quickie electronics. You might also want to go with a LiFePo4 batter pack instead of lead acid, it will weigh a lot less.

John S.

John Swenson
DAC designer
Well Tempered Record player -> Seduction
Moded Squeezebox->DIY DAC
BDT preamp->813 monster SE amp
DIY "Bazooka" Lowther speakers

Offline denti alligator

Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 12:36:54 PM
So it might be possible? This would make such an awesome kit, if it were compact and light enough.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline SammyJ

Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 01:32:52 PM
The perfect setup for the morining Jog 8)...John

LOL  ;D

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 12:02:47 PM
Xavier,

Sorry it's not Bottlehead based, but my new portable system consists of a iPad Mini, a Lightning to camera connection cable, a standard usb A to Mini-B, an ALO Internationsal and a set of balanced HiFiMAN RE-600 IEMs. This setup will work with any lightning based IOS device -- iPod 5g, iPhone 5G and any iPad with a lightning connector. This sends a direct digital stream to the ALO International (24/96 DAC and amp, all self contained, battery powered and SE and balanced outs). It is very compact, convenient and can drive just about any headphone out there, and is very, very quiet with IEMs. I had Drew Baird at Moon Audio build me a RSA to female TRRS adaptor cable so I can use the RE-600s in balanced mode, and I have to say that I'm very impressed even at an early stage of break-in.

This is not for the kids, as one review said about the International -- no fireworks here, just a very nicee, balanced and mature sound -- a really good match for the RE-600s. Battery life on the International is about the same as the iPad when using both the dac and amp. This is some good stuff.

Also drove my Fostex Maddog's with ease.

No affiliation with any of the vendors mentioned above, but for me the thing I've been wanting -- a quality, portable daaac/amp setup that does not take any power from the host IOS device and still sends a direct digital stream.

This system rocks so well that I replaced my entire bedside table with it, but can also take it wherre I want -- aside from the iPad, the rest fits easily in a pocket -- the International is the smallest portable amp that ALO has yet made.

HTH, Jim

And apologies to the good folks at BH.

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline xcortes

Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 03:45:59 PM
Cool. Would it beat my sony wmd6c :)?

Saludos

Xavier Cortes

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 04:17:17 PM
Xavier,

Without having heard that piece, I couldn't possibly tell you. I can tell you that with a 24/96 ALAC, fla, or wav file it is really nice.

-- Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline xcortes

Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 04:18:39 PM
I know! I was just having fun! It's a cassette walkman.

Xavier Cortes

Offline xcortes

Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 09:20:12 AM
Btw Jim,

What software are you using on the ipad?

Thanks

Xavier Cortes

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 11:18:25 AM
Xavier,

Right now I'm just using the MOG app -- to be going away in April) and iTunes for a single demo track in wav format until I get my other mac mini setup and the ipad linked to it so I can transfer my favorite tunes over. Then it will be itunes, 8player or some other player yet to be determined. There are a lot of good players out there but not many of them work well with VoiceOver.
So, even over wireless and mp3 at 320 kbps it sounds pretty good -- still obviously mp3 though.

-- Jim