wierd problem with microphonics

aragorn723 · 2567

Offline aragorn723

on: January 30, 2014, 02:25:30 PM
Hi, so on my Quickie I put a few copper couplings, covering the 3S4's for microphonics isolation (with some velcro wrapped around the tube to keep the copper in place).  It works really well at reducing the microphonics, but sometimes makes a really loud popping sound.  What could be wrong?  Is the tube somehow shorting to the copper (maybe the signal??)

Thanks,

Dave

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 02:53:33 PM
What happens when you remove the copper couplings?

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline aragorn723

Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 05:24:03 PM
if you take the couplings off, the quickie works fine, but picks up microphonics. (no loud pop).

Offline matthewmckay

Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 05:51:46 PM
you should try grounding the copper peices to a nearby metal chassis.  it sounds like you static issues. 

I have an air filter/fan with a de-ionizer in my bedroom that gives makes an occaisional pop/crackle in my quickie when both are turned on.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 12:29:34 AM
would a soldering iron be hot enough to solder some hook up wire to the copper?  i'm wondering if I would solder a piece of wire to each copper coupling then attach that to the chassis of my amp.  Thanks,

Dave

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 06:07:56 AM
would a soldering iron be hot enough to solder some hook up wire to the copper?  i'm wondering if I would solder a piece of wire to each copper coupling then attach that to the chassis of my amp.  Thanks,

If you want to solder a 0 gauge wire to a copper water pipe in your house with a 5 Watt iron, then no.

Questions like this are impossible to answer without a lot of additional information, and generally there's no harm in trying.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline aragorn723

Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 02:14:00 PM
well, I attached the couplings again tonight, and ran a ground wire from the amp chassis.  The couplings have an aligator clip on each, and the other end clips to the ground wire.  There were no super loud pops (i'll probably test it a little more) but when shutting off the amp, there was a slight pop.. As far as sound, it seemed to make the sound a little clearer?  This is kind of wierd ::)  Are commercial tube dampers a better idea?

Offline Wanderer

Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 04:20:13 PM
......... but when shutting off the amp, there was a slight pop....

Quicky does normally "pop" at turn on and turn off. Quicky for me is always first on and last off. I don't use any dampers on the Quicky tubes. 

Kevin R-M

Offline aragorn723

Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 02:33:20 AM
......... but when shutting off the amp, there was a slight pop....

Quicky does normally "pop" at turn on and turn off. Quicky for me is always first on and last off. I don't use any dampers on the Quicky tubes.

That's what i normally do too..  I just wonder if there is a benefit from damping the tubes, sometimes it seems to compress the music, but I see a bunch of tube gear with dampers, hence the curiosity and this experiment!