Final Voltage Check - Stuck at 0V at TRS

Acclaim · 1289

Offline Acclaim

on: January 30, 2014, 05:35:24 PM
Resistance and voltage checks... well, check out!

Quick question re: the final voltage check though:

When placing a ground on terminal 12 and the active red line on the T or R terminal rings (where I soldered the ground or resistor to) I receive a reading of 0V. This value stays constant while off, during start-up and through 30 seconds of testing.

I realize that the voltage should eventually drop to 0V but I'm not seeing that initial spike to ~<9V.

It's possible I'm not testing this correctly but the other tested voltages came up fine.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 08:44:53 AM by Acclaim »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 05:41:03 PM
Did you do the sticky mod?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Acclaim

Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 08:40:23 AM
Did you do the sticky mod?

Was planning to, but haven't yet!

(Can I use the supplied silver wire for the jumper?)

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 08:52:47 AM
Yes, any wire will work for the jumper.

Essentially, if you have any DC voltage at terminals 7 and 9, then the 100uF capacitors have to charge, and they charge through the 2.49K resistors.  How quickly or slowly this happens depends on a lot of variables, but if everything else in your amplifier is up to snuff, I would go ahead and test for sound.

The one thing you might want to do is to reheat the joint on the TRS jack where the two 2.49K resistors meet the ground wire. 

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Acclaim

Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 08:58:29 AM
Yes, any wire will work for the jumper.

Essentially, if you have any DC voltage at terminals 7 and 9, then the 100uF capacitors have to charge, and they charge through the 2.49K resistors.  How quickly or slowly this happens depends on a lot of variables, but if everything else in your amplifier is up to snuff, I would go ahead and test for sound.

The one thing you might want to do is to reheat the joint on the TRS jack where the two 2.49K resistors meet the ground wire. 

-PB

Sounds good! Errr, well I hope it sounds great!  ;)

This will be a slick fix as I will be reheating the TRS joint when installing the jumper anyhow. Here goes nothing!

Thank you PB.