-R problems

Guest · 2810

audiophileboss

on: February 08, 2014, 08:00:56 AM
Hey Guys, I bought my nephew a second hand Panasonic DVD H1000 dvd cd player for his system. Unfortunatly all his disks wont play, as he uses cdr copies of my disks. But a dvd-r did play once. Do you guys know of a way to burn cdrs better?

Offline STURMJ

Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 06:49:35 PM
CDR was fairly new when that player was designed.  Audio CDRs "should" be compatible with redbook CDs.  However the laser-receiver configuration on that player may not be optimal for CDR. The reflectivity of CDRs are different than standard CDs, because different materials are used.  You could try to use different CDRs (brands, configuration) to see if you get reflections usable to the player, but it is possible that that player just can't play them.

audiophileboss

Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 01:16:11 AM
Will do

Offline caffeinator

Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 05:52:38 AM
I have a Sony CD player / copier of a similar vintage, also designed when CD-R was relatively new.  It has proven to be very sensitive to the brand/type of CD-R media used in it for copying and playback.

One issue I've noted is that it will not play or record onto what it thinks are "data CD's," which seem to be anything of the 74 minute variety.  It accepts the 80 minute "Music CD" format much more readily, but even within that, it seems finicky.  Sony Music CD-R's, somewhat unsurprisingly but aggravatingly, work fine, though are more expensive than other brands and types.

I don't use it much any more, but when there were two cars and drivers in the household, I would often want to make a copy of a new music CD for each car.  The machine would usually make one copy, and then, with no warning, it would blithely make coasters thereafter, even on the media it seemed to prefer.  I suspected this was some kind of Serial Copy Management System issue (Sony was also in the music business then), but was never sure about it.

Nowadays, it's rare that I use it, and it may soon find its way to Goodwill.  Anyway, you may find that your machine has some preferred media that works well while others are unpredictable.  That has certainly been true for this machine and another one or two of similar vintage I've used over the years.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 08:45:12 AM
I use my PC for Disk copying.  EAC is my recommended .WAV burning program.  Not fast but very good.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 10:02:34 AM by Grainger49 »