Crackling on one ear, "digital beeping" on the other

EniGmA1987 · 1207

Offline EniGmA1987

on: February 10, 2014, 06:34:54 AM
So I built my crack + speedball a while ago and it worked fine for about a week. Then it started having a crackling issue on the left channel as the amp gets up to operating temp. When I first turn it on the amp works fine while it is still cold. So not sure if it would be a tube problem or not that is causing the crackling in 1 side when warm. The crackling is not constant, but lasts just a second or two and happens every once in a while at first. The longer the amp stays on the more often and longer this crackling happens.
After a couple days of having this crackling problem, the right side channel developed a problem I can only describe as "digital beeping". It starts up a little while after the crackling has started, only in the opposite channel. It is kinda like: "de de, de de deeet deet, de dee deee..." and the4n goes away for a bit, then comes back and happens again. All the while I can still hear the music playing under these crackling and beeping sounds. So not really sure what either of these issues could be caused by or how to remedy them. This is the first time I have really built anything such as this but all the stuff checked out fine when I built it. Any help on the issues would be appreciated.

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 07:12:45 AM
Turn off your cellphone.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 07:33:51 AM
EniGmA1987, did you build the Crack stock first, listen to it for a bit and then install the speedball? You probably know where I'm going with this.

Offline EniGmA1987

Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 08:08:24 AM
EniGmA1987, did you build the Crack stock first, listen to it for a bit and then install the speedball? You probably know where I'm going with this.

I did build just the Crack at first, but I didnt listen for long, a few minutes really to make sure it was working and then I put the speedball upgrade in. It all worked fine for a few days, being used for quite long periods of time each day before the problems started happening.

I suppose the sound from the beeping *could* be cell phone related since my cell sits on my computer desk too (not right next to each other though), but it isnt exactly the same noise that cell phones tend to cause in audio. Similar, but not identical. Only in 1 side of the audio too.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 11:22:36 AM
Ok, you have a "crackling, beeping" Crack.  Sounds like a personal problem.

But seriously... Crackling is often a bad solder joint.  I have never heard beeping.  So I think Joshua might be right.  Beeping might be interference from a computer or cell phone being too close to the Crack.  You would not be the first.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 09:57:58 AM by Grainger49 »