Switicable bias for Crack+Speedball?

JamieMcC · 1699

Offline JamieMcC

on: February 10, 2014, 11:41:11 PM
First the disclaimer I am new to diy the bhc is my first and only build so far, however its sparked an interest that I am enjoying and which my other half now refers to as my new hobby!

Moving on.

I have noticed several posts which touch on swapping the two led's used for biasing on the input tube for resistors in order to achieve more optimal operating parameters (plate loads, I think) for different input tubes like the e80cc and 12bh7.

While swapping the leds for resistors is straight forward enough and an inexpensive thing to try it is not something I would want to do on a regular basis. I was thinking more along the lines of something switchable with set bias which might be top plate operated while listening (if practical)to reference effects .

I have seen mention of "bias pots" but have a feeling this might not be the same thing. 

Might this be a practical thing to try or more detrimental to the sound quality with the added componentry.

Thoughts, pointers, links for further reading or associated parts welcome.

Cheers
Jamie
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 11:47:55 PM by JamieMcC »

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 03:36:22 AM
It's totally doable. 

If you have the Speedball, it's a little more plausible to use resistors instead of LED's, but it won't sound quite as good. 

IIRC, going up in bias voltage a little bit from 1.5V for the 12BH7 will nudge the plate voltage back into the desirable range. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 07:21:51 AM
ok thanks Paul that's interesting, the implementation looks like something I could tackle with some thought and further reading on the subject.  This would also help me to have a better understanding of what I am actually doing and I might just start learning a bit about how the amp works rather than just swapping out one part for another.

Looks like I have plenty to read up on for starter.

Jamie

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 07:23:13 AM
ok thanks Paul that's interesting, the implementation looks like something I could tackle with some thought and further reading on the subject.  This would also help me to have a better understanding of what I am actually doing and I might just start learning a bit about how the amp works rather than just swapping out one part for another.

Looks like I have plenty to read up on for starters.

Jamie

Offline bdr529

Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 04:31:10 PM
It's totally doable. 

If you have the Speedball, it's a little more plausible to use resistors instead of LED's, but it won't sound quite as good. 

IIRC, going up in bias voltage a little bit from 1.5V for the 12BH7 will nudge the plate voltage back into the desirable range.

What bias voltage should those with 12BH7s be shooting for? Would series HLMP-6000s work or maybe another LED?

Also, when using resistors would you recommend a bypass cap? (and  value?)

Thanks

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 07:02:23 PM
Something higher than 1.5V, but not by much.  1.7-1.8V ought to be enough.

I don't think the bypass cap is necessary if you're going to use resistors.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man