Hifiman and SEX

J. Mauro · 4137

Offline J. Mauro

on: February 15, 2014, 04:10:34 AM
I would love to hear all your thoughts on the Hifiman HE400 and 500 cans with the SEX amp combo. Please give me some details because I am considering both to pair with my SEX and I won't have a chance to audition them together without buying first. Thanks very much in advance.

Jeremy Mauro

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 01:53:17 PM
Hi Jeremy,  Did you buy a pair of Hifiman cans in the end?

M.McCandless

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 08:51:29 AM
I had a chance to listen to the HE-6 on a SEX amp, and I was very impressed.  I would expect the HE-400 and HE-500 to also work very well.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline mcandmar

Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 10:36:55 AM
From what i have read the 400/500 are meant to be much easier to drive than the 5/6. If the 6's work well i'm sure it would have no problem with the 400/500 then.

The 400's are on eBay for $250 which caught my interest, i had no idea you could get a planar headphone for that kind of money, tempted to try them to dip my toe into the planar world.  From what i have read i think the 500's would be ideal but they are a big jump up at $600.

Unfortunately there is nowhere in this country to try out headphones, i would love to hear the T1,HD800,LCD's or high end Hifimans to see which one works for me. Just too damn expensive to buy blindly.

M.McCandless

Offline J. Mauro

Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 07:28:44 AM
Sorry for the long wait for a reply. I still have not purchased the 500's because I was given a pair of Cornwalls that has taken my attention for the last little while. They are, however, the next set of cans that I will get because of the positive reviews over on Head-Fi. I will be in Vancouver next month and should have a chance to audition them

Jeremy Mauro

Offline mcandmar

Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 10:43:11 AM
Hey no problem, i went ahead and ordered a pair of HE-500's, razordogaudo kept listing them on ebay for ~$500 so i couldn't resist.  I was expecting them to arrive today but they got stuck in customs so i should have them early next week.  I also discovered Loquah owns a pair so he was able to confirm they pair well with the S.E.X. amp.

What are Cornwalls by the way?

M.McCandless

Offline J. Mauro

Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 11:57:58 AM
Beautiful, large, vintage Klipsch Cornwall speakers. 100 dB sensitive and absolutely magical. It's tough to listen through headphones when one has such incredible speakers to fill this room with unbelievable music.

Jeremy Mauro

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 02:12:18 PM
Cornwalls, big fun...John

John Scanlon

Offline Mach2

Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 07:23:55 PM
The HE500 pairing with the S.E.X is a brilliant combo. The HE500 and the HD800 are the reason the S.E.X will be staying with me along side with the Mainline.

PH

PH

Offline Loquah

• Accidental Tube Addict
    • Passion For Sound
Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 04:23:34 PM
The HE500 pairing with the S.E.X is a brilliant combo. The HE500 and the HD800 are the reason the S.E.X will be staying with me along side with the Mainline.

PH

+1 - At first I thought I liked the Mainline + HE-500s better than the S.E.X. + HE-500s, but further listening showed the S.E.X. to bring out the wonderful organic sound of the HE-500s. I've since fallen in love with the LCD-2s + S.E.X. combo having previously been unimpressed with the LCD-2s on my Mainline. Am awaiting shipping of my new headphones now and can't wait to spend some time comparing the HE-500s and LCD-2s

Check out my reviews on YouTube - https://youtube.com/c/passionforsound

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 01:22:05 PM
I only briefly got to try an HE500 and LCD-2 on my SEX amp during a Head-Fi meet up.  Mainly to confirm that the amp had plenty of power to drive each headphone.  I ended getting a STAX headphone and SRD transformer and the combo has been good enough to kill my interest in planar headphones for the time being.