convert XLR out to second RCA out

aroide · 1287

Offline aroide

on: February 23, 2014, 06:00:05 PM
I'd like to convert my XLR out to a 2nd RCA out to drive my PPA headphone amp.  What RCA socket parts do you use in the kit so I can buy 2 that fit?
Is the circuit mod as easy as paralleling the tip and ring of the unbal out to tip and ring of the 2nd RCA out?   If yes, is there any effect on sound by loading 2 different cables and amp input sources at the same time?  I don't see how this would be that different from the current XLR signal wiring, but I wanted to check.

Also, my selector has 4 positions, what is the 4th?

Thanks for a great kit.  It is fantastic sounding and all stock.  I'll update my assessment of changes after I add the BeeQuiet and then change output caps to ClarityCap MR 10uf.  BTW, the bottlehead power cable made an immediate improvement in sound... there is some magic low impedance you have there to the frequencies the BeePre is sensitive to.  I can't wait to select and build my next kit.

Mac mini running Roon->
Mytek Brooklyn DAC+->
Darwin Truth RCA IC->
BeePre (BeeQuiet,  Mundorf Ag/Au/Oil, Sophia Royal Princess 300B)->
Audioquest Colorado->
Rogue Audio Atlas Magnum amp (Psvane small signal tubes, KT150s)->
Audioquest Gibraltar-speaker cables>
Magnepan 1.7 & REL T-5

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 08:07:28 AM
Hello there,

Yes, you can just substitute another pair of Neutrik RCA jacks in place of the XLR jacks.  The paralleling is indeed as simple as your description.  The loading should also not present an issue.

Your selector switch would have a fourth position if the tabbed ring slipped during installation.  This would give you inputs 1-3, then another position for input 1.  This won't harm anything, but if you want to fix it, you can remove the switch and roll that tabbed washer back one position (I think counter-clockwise).

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man