quickie in new chassis

aragorn723 · 1302

Offline aragorn723

on: March 08, 2014, 05:43:26 PM
Hi,

I'm thinking about building the Quickie into a more wife-friendly chassis, maybe something like this:

http://www.vt4c.com/shop/program/main.php?cat_id=1032&group_id=2

Model AL-299S

The only issue is that it looks so nice, i'd be afraid of messing up the drilling and having something that didn't look so nice!
Are there other places to look for a chassis with similar quality?  How hard is it to do the drilling for something like this?  Are there tricks to getting a professional-looking job?

Besides finding a chassis, i've been trying to figure out what the best way is to mount stuff inside.  As far as the tube socket, is it better inside the chassis or outside the chassis?  I'm thinking it would generally be better on the inside as far as reducing interference and noise, but would look cooler on the outside.  What do you guys think?  What would be the best way to mount it inside?  Thanks,

Dave

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 12:02:51 AM
I would say if its your first time doing metal work then find something scrap you can practice drilling and cutting holes out in, use a centre punch and pillar drill this will really help. The potential to muck it up is quiet high if you have not done any metal work previously. I would cover the metal surface with some masking tape so you can map out all the holes by using the quickie Perspex top plate as a template the tape will also help protect the top from getting scratched while you are working on it.

For an alternate

Try a search on ebay for "plain wooden box" they sell in all sorts of sizes and styles for craftwork like decoupage from only a few dollars upwards. Easy to paint or cover with fabric/vinyl or use a exotic wooden veneer with a glue film which allows you to iron it on. Could easily convert one and make a interesting enclosure from it.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline WK3K

• Beginning to see the light...
Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 05:58:51 AM
For a very nice wooden chassis that requires no drilling, plate modifications, or fancy tools, I would recommend Blumenstein Audio (no affiliation) http://www.blumensteinaudio.com/amplifierbases/ .

The quickie plate is slot mounted into the case, so all that's required is a screw driver. Very "wife friendly" as well!

Witold

Rega P3-24 w/ Rega Exact > Eros II> Quickie w/PJCCS > Stereomour II w/ DC filament supply > Blumenstein Orca Mini/Max 2.1

MacBook > Grace SDAC > Crack w/ Speedball > Sennheiser HD6XX

Offline aragorn723

Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 07:45:27 AM
I have the Quickie in a wooden case now (and like the way it looks).  The goal is to put it in a different chassis so the RCAs are on the back, and work out a different arrangement for the batteries. 

Dave