Voltage check

vladimirwolfe · 2660

Offline vladimirwolfe

on: March 10, 2014, 01:51:45 PM
Finally got my Tode built and it mostly checks within spec. I do however have two VDC readings that are suspect. It's terminals 2 and 5 on the front chassis where the expectation is for 35 & 37 volts respectively and I measure 51 volts on each. Do I need to be concerned?

As always, the instructions on this kit were fabulous. I'll post pics next week and give some "sonic" descriptions/impressions.

Doug

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 02:12:25 PM
With a directly coupled circuit like that, tube variations can be a bit exaggerated, but the amplifier ought to work properly with that particular voltage.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 02:14:54 PM
Yeah, and it could just be that the tubes need to cook in for a bit and they will pull more into line.

I recall that you and I listened to the Weber Chicago 8" in my Tode and also a single Eminence 1258 in an extension cab and we both liked the little 8" better. Just wanted to mention that PB picked up a 4x12 cab for me a couple weeks ago, loaded with 4 Celestion G12T-100s. I've been driving that with the Tode-as-head. I was really enjoying playing my jazz box through them, and then I grabbed the 335. Holy s***!, that cab gets really loud with humbuckers and a Tode driving it, and the bass is really something. So for those who want to "step up" from the 8" in the Tode by using it as a head, I say go big or go home.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 02:27:34 PM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline vladimirwolfe

Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 06:57:32 PM
Thanks guys, that was the answer I was hoping for.

Doc, I'm too damn old to be shlepping around a 4x12 cab! I do have an old 2x12 MusicMan cab so I'll give that a whirl. What does the impedance need to be on the extension cab? 

Doug

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 05:56:51 AM
The Tode is looking for 4 ohms. It will play OK into 8. My 4x12 has wheels, but I'm not schlepping. It's not like anyone wants me to bring a guitar into some place and start playing!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.