Analog to Digital Converter Suggestions?

Daikini · 10518

Offline Daikini

on: March 19, 2014, 06:13:10 PM
I would like to be able to digitize a line-level analog signal (like the output of my Seduction) for the purpose of making some of my vinyl portable/share-able.

Ideally I would like to go to USB on the output.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a device that will do this reasonably well, at a reasonable price point?

Thanks!

David Gray

Empire 208/Jelco 750d/Nagaoka mp300 -> Seduction -> Stereomour ->Klipsch Heresy IIs w/ dual Polk PSW10s
Sony CDP-CX235 -> Schiit OptiModi -> Sex 2.1 -> Madisound BK-12m/Hifiman HE400

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 12:06:46 AM
I would like to be able to digitize a line-level analog signal (like the output of my Seduction) for the purpose of making some of my vinyl portable/share-able.  .  .  .   

Nice idea but that is an ADC not a DAC.  A totally different animal. 

The Bottlehead DAC is beyond prototype.  John has produced the first production board.  So the design is nearly set in stone today.

Offline Daikini

Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 03:43:26 AM
Yes, I understand that an ADC is totally different from a DAC.

What I am asking is, among ADC's currently commercially available, can anyone recommend one that takes RCA line level input, has USB output, and gets along with Bottlehead gear in terms of output/input impedance?

David Gray

Empire 208/Jelco 750d/Nagaoka mp300 -> Seduction -> Stereomour ->Klipsch Heresy IIs w/ dual Polk PSW10s

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 06:19:42 AM
Maybe pick up an EMU 0404USB? I have used one to digitize tape recordings to 192/24 and it seems to do a decent job. You just need RCA to 1/4" phone plug adapters.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 06:37:14 AM
Crap ! ! !  I thought this was the Bottlehead DAC thread, my mistake.  I'm just getting old.

Offline Daikini

Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 11:01:33 AM
No problem, Grainger.

David Gray

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 02:01:37 PM
You might like to take a look at the HRT LineStreamer

http://highresolutiontechnologies.com/linestreamer-plus

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Daikini

Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 09:23:24 PM
I ended up going with the LineStreamer. No moving parts, no software to install, no power supply, etc. Just RCA to USB.

It didn't get along with my computer at first, but once I got the newest version of the firmware loaded, it worked just fine. The folks at HRT were very helpful with this.

So now I'm happily ripping vinyl...

David Gray

Offline bobster

Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 11:18:33 PM
Where did you connect it to your system?  Directly to your turntable?  Output from preamp?

Bob Musson
Seduction (extended), Foreplay, Paramours, Klipsch Heresys, Orcas, Crack plus HD 600s
Lovin the Bottlehead sound in Maryland

Offline Daikini

Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 01:13:35 AM
I connected it to the output of the Seduction.

David Gray

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 01:08:17 PM
Hi David,

Any reports on how well the LineStreamer is working sound-wise? I've been interested in this since HRT first announced it quite some time ago.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Daikini

Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 06:39:13 AM
It sounds really good to me.  However, it's the only audio-to-digital converter I've used, so I really have no basis for comparison.

Because there is no level control on either the Seduction or the Linestreamer, and the Linestreamer defeats the level control of the software mixer, I have no control over the level of the recording until it's already recorded and I can normalize it in software (I'm using Audacity).  No record yet has come anywhere close to clipping, which is good, but that means I could put more signal in than I am.   I would have thought that this would present noise floor issues, because I'm bringing up the noise with the signal when I normalize everything, but it hasn't been a noticeable problem.  This is a testament to the low noise of both the Seduction and the Linestreamer.

I mostly us it to make CDs to play in the car, which does not have a very nice sound system, but I am very happy with the quality anyway.  The recordings have the great dynamic range of vinyl and a warm tubey sound.

The one thing I've been disappointed with is that the firmware does not get along with Mac Mavericks OS.  Not a big deal for me, since I was planning to make my old PC laptop a dedicated audio device anyway, but if you have a new Mac it might be a problem.

David Gray

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 11:36:41 AM
I believe a way to get round the line level is to record to a pocket digital stereo recorder such as a Tascam with which the line level input can be adjusted, once saved on the recorders memory the file can be transferred to pc. I am positive I have read this somewhere. My other half has one she uses for choir rehearsals listening with headphones to the rehearsals I was quiet surprised at the SQ it was pretty good for a pocket device.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 12:20:27 PM
Well, I do have a Mac mini in my audio rack, so no go for now.

And to tell the truth, at least at this point I don't have very many albums that I don't have as rips or downloads.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Yoder

Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 06:57:43 AM
I second the E-Mu 0404, but I have also read a lot of positive reviews about Ross Martin ADAC gear http://rossmartinaudio.com/index_files/Page318.htm