My current system, Altec 755A's and Rythmik subs

johnsonad · 2586

Offline johnsonad

on: March 23, 2014, 08:15:10 AM
It has been a couple of months and I'm finally to a point where I'm happy with the current system.  These are Altec 755A's in JE Labs/WE style cabs made of 1/2" Baltic birch with minimal damping using 1/2" wool felt.  To fill in what they naturally don't have in the bass there is a pair of Rythmik F12 subs working from 80 Hz down.  The subs have a build it 80 Hz HPF which makes it even easier. 

The frequency sweeps are a little lumpy in areas but it doesn't deter from the overall sound.  These are a big change from my Altec Model 19 horns and took some getting used to.  They are not as dynamic nor do they play as loud but man oh man do they have some magic to them.  I can listen to them for hours on end without fatigue.  The do voices especially well as this is what they were designed for.  Having a point source presentation fills my need for imagining and they image like no other speaker I've owned.  They don't go especially high or low but in that critical midrange they deliver. 

This is also my first time with subs and I'm liking what they do.  Clark pointed me to the Rythmiks and they deliver plenty of articulate bass.  Best of all, if I want a little more, all I need to do is turn up the output ;)

Aaron Johnson

Offline xcortes

Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 07:31:39 AM
Those blue cabinets look nice!

Xavier Cortes

Offline johnsonad

Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 08:20:28 AM
Thanks! Not quite the color we were among for but paint is cheap ;)

Aaron Johnson

Offline johnsonad

Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 04:43:09 AM
In preparation for merging HT and listening, we moved the vinyl out from behind the speakers yesterday.  Both my wife and I were very surprised by the difference in sound in doing so.  The system sounds significantly better without it there.  It opened up the top and everything sound more alive now.  No single piece of gear swapping has had this much impact.  It just goes to show that room set up is a significant part of the overall sound of the system.

Aaron Johnson