Crack Just Went Silent

Murray Stevens · 880

Offline Murray Stevens

on: March 24, 2014, 01:35:30 PM
Hi, I built my Crack a couple of months ago and all has been fine. On Friday, it suddenly went silent. No drama, it just went silent.

Today is the first day I have had time to troubleshoot a little.
Headphones work when plugged into computer output.
Cord from computer output checked for continuity and appears to be ok. (I'm new at this so I set my multimeter to "Continuity <100 ohms" per the manual and got readings when testing from each RCA jack to the miniplug.
Tubes glow when power is turned on.

I just did the resistance check per the manual. All is well except when I test Terminal 5. It starts at a value of 60ish and then climbs slowly upwards. This is a behavior similar to Terminal 13. This doesn't seem to be the way it should behave as it is marked with an asterisk which indicates it should display a fluctuating reading.

I don't have time to do anymore today before I leave for home. Just wondering if Terminal 5 indicates a problem that could have resulted in no output?

Will test voltages tomorrow when I have someone else here...I am very paranoid about the safety warnings...sorry for being a wimp ;-)

Cheers,

Murray

Murray Stevens

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 05:21:27 AM
The voltages will be very helpful.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Murray Stevens

Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 01:42:59 PM
Hi PB,

I just measured all the voltages. Everything checked out ok. Plugged in the headphones again and it works just fine. I don't know what happened.

I appreciate you trying to help a noob.

But I'm a happy guy now, the tunes are flowing again :-)

Cheers,

Murray

Murray Stevens

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 01:54:15 AM
Murry,

There is something wrong.  It will come back after a while. 

I would suggest taking a close look at all solder joints.  There is a possibility that one wasn't soldered at all.  Or the solder joint is bad. 

I would just go through and touch up every solder joint in the power supply.  If the amp was just dead on both channels it could have been the heater voltage or the high voltage missing.