Build thread

debk · 19409

Offline debk

on: April 03, 2010, 02:02:04 AM
I have started a seduction build thread on the Emotiva forum if anyone is interested.
Alternatively I can repost it to this forum.

Let me know

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=diy&thread=10660&page=1

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 04:35:23 AM
That is an interesting site.  I have never heard of them, like Bottlehead to most folks.

As much as you like purple, I like blue, so the site appeals visually.

Offline debk

Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 06:58:32 AM
I have their pre/pro, amp and speakers.  Excellent bang for your buck!

I found out about Bottlehead from the DIY section on the Emotiva forum.

Deb

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline debk

Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 05:25:23 PM
Ok Finished the Seduction
(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi566.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fss102%2Frktdoc%2FSeduction%2FL1000215.jpg&hash=b27df9bdb36653dfbe57abf57ca23969fb72b87f)
Set the system up as below
Music Hall MMF 5.1 Turntable
Goldring 1012GX cartridge (upgraded free by Music hall since they were out of stock of the standard G2200)
Pro-ject Speed box II
Bottlehead Seduction Phono preamp (stock built for now)
Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro
Emotiva IPS-1 Amp
Emotiva ERT 8.3 speakers

For the first record one of my all time favorites, Super Tramp Crime of the Century on 180gm vinyl.

My first impressions is that it sounded Fantastic. Very detailed but warm sound, with an excellent sound stage. Sitting in the dark listening you are immersed in the sound and can imagine that you are hearing it live. I especially thought the midrange was very detailed and the bass was better than I thought it would be. While 2ch SACD audio through my system is very detailed also this was more realistic, and much warmer. In a way less sterile for lack of a better description. Please don't get me wrong digital sounds great also but this was just different in good ways.
It wil be interesting to see how the sound evolves as the components break in. Over the weekend I hope to compare the bottlehead to a solid state phono stage, and maybe add the C4S constant current supply upgrade. I also received a pair of dynamicaps I may rotate in, while I am doing the C4S upgrade

Now I have to decide if I should get the Bottlehead Foreplay III preamp next!

Overall I am very impressed with the bottlehead Seduction.

This was my first diy audio project since I built a Heathkit AR-1500 back in the 70's. What a blast, I can say I am totally addicted again

Debra
For more photos see:
http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=diy&thread=10660&page=1

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 06:23:19 PM
Beautiful build, very clean and careful looking - congrats!

Just a note - in my experience, most caps gradually sound worse over the first 10-20 hours, before they start sounding better. They are usually pretty stable after 50 hours (except Teflon caps for some reason; they want a few hundred hours). Most people think that running signal through the capacitor is necessary - merely leaving it on is not adequate. I haven't done enough rigorous testing to have a valid opinion, so I always act on that assumption even though it means I am still not collecting useful data to answer the question!

I have no plausible explanation for capacitor break-in, which frustrates the heck out of my scientist side. Fortunately, my engineer side says that once I've observed it enough times, I have to accept the observed data even in the absence of a plausible theory.

Paul Joppa

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 07:06:21 PM
I love the purple, and I'm glad you got the Seduction singing!  Let it play for a while before you do mods, and try your best to do them one at a time (you can develop a sense of what each mod does).

Let me know how you like the speedbox, I just put one on my highly modified MMF-5 with results that were beyond what I expected!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline grufti

Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 07:42:20 PM
That is a great build.

What on earth were you doing not building anything for 30+ years?

Offline debk

Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 11:40:07 PM
That is a great build.

What on earth were you doing not building anything for 30+ years?

Sorry for not being clear.  I have not built an audio project since the 70's.  I have built many amateur radio and lately been building clocks with nixie tubes.  I get the most enjoyment out of the audio projects, and they are one I am most critical of the results.

Deb
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 11:54:20 PM by debk »

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline debk

Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 11:52:41 PM
Beautiful build, very clean and careful looking - congrats!

Just a note - in my experience, most caps gradually sound worse over the first 10-20 hours, before they start sounding better. They are usually pretty stable after 50 hours (except Teflon caps for some reason; they want a few hundred hours). Most people think that running signal through the capacitor is necessary - merely leaving it on is not adequate. I haven't done enough rigorous testing to have a valid opinion, so I always act on that assumption even though it means I am still not collecting useful data to answer the question!

I have no plausible explanation for capacitor break-in, which frustrates the heck out of my scientist side. Fortunately, my engineer side says that once I've observed it enough times, I have to accept the observed data even in the absence of a plausible theory.

I totally understand, as a physician, I accept anecdotal evidence all the time. The explanation "it just works" frustrates my scientist side also.

A question about breaking in caps.  Would you just pop them into the Seduction with the understanding that they will get better over time, or break them in on the bench and then pop them in?

Deb
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 12:43:30 AM by debk »

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline debk

Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 12:42:25 AM
I love the purple, and I'm glad you got the Seduction singing!  Let it play for a while before you do mods, and try your best to do them one at a time (you can develop a sense of what each mod does).

Let me know how you like the speedbox, I just put one on my highly modified MMF-5 with results that were beyond what I expected!

I think the speed box is a great upgrade, it just sounds better with it.
Interestingly I also have an acrylic platter, which is supposed to sound better than the stock platter with felt mat.  I found the oposite to be true, to my ears the stock platter with felt mat was more dynamic, with the acrylic platter it sounded somewhat "muddy".

Deb

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Grainger49

Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 01:47:28 AM
   .  .  .    A question about breaking in caps.  Would you just pop them into the Seduction with the understanding that they will get better over time, or break them in on the bench and then pop them in?

Deb

Deb, a quick look back at your Newb post and you will find a link to my fast break in method.  It isn't fast, just continuous.  I am now giving Teflon caps 200+ hours before putting them into service.

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,107.msg3682.html#msg3682

Your thread at Emotiva Lounge is excellent.  Looking at it I thought Bottlehead had changed the composition of some of the resistors.  Then I took a look at my old pictures and I remembered 4 resistors disappear when installing the C4S circuit board.  It is a unique one piece board that fits above the Ground Plate used at the in/out RCA Jacks.  A really nice piece of work on PJ's part there.

I have the same problem with my digital camera, it doesn't give true colors with the flash.  I sometimes get so fed up with it I drag my equipment outside to get it color correct.

Again, a nice build and excellent thread.

Offline debk

Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 03:14:41 AM
Thanks you for your kind words. 
I will set up something to break in the caps I am getting.  I already have the Dynamicps and have some Russian Teflon caps on the way.

Deb

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 07:42:28 AM
Interesting note about the acrylic. I ended up remaking the entire table out of acrylic, but I'm in the process of adding mass to the platter, as I believe simply replacing the glass with acrylic of equal thickness decreases platter mass greatly.

If only I had a lathe, I would turn some weights to add on the under side.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline debk

Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 08:46:45 AM
The acrylic platter is less than half the mass of the standard alloy platter and about twice as thick.  Everything I have read says it is an improvement.  I guess it just goes to show that individual tastes, room acoustics and other factors can add up to give different results.

Deb

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline debk

Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 06:18:15 PM
(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi566.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fss102%2Frktdoc%2FSeduction%2FL1000223.jpg&hash=b47ba1542f2b9a51e8a387d7c759c46059e0d2fb)

The finished Seduction

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers