Feedback on PC USB DAC's

fredrickj · 10669

Offline xcoolhandx

Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 05:04:42 AM
I recently switched from Schiit Modi to Nuforce Icon HDP (you can find one on ebay below $300) and it pairs with Crack very nicely
192kHz/24-bit via toslink

P.S. I have Modi for sale if you interested (only used it for about 3 days )
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 05:10:05 AM by xcoolhandx »

Offline Atraf

Reply #16 on: July 02, 2014, 06:27:44 AM
I am currently at the same place as you do, 300$ budget for DAC, the bifrost is what I wish for but with all its upgrades it reaches 520$ its way over 300$, someone recommended me Musical Fidelity v90 dac but i can't seem to find much reviews on it and I heard musical fidelity is not what it used to be since they moved they production to Vietnam.

Anyway I am starting to play with the idea of buying a portable dac/amp with an emphasize on the dac this way I can get a portable combo for my IEM or any other low impedance HP and a dac for home,  it might be a good idea to save some money..
There are quite a few options , audio quest ff, meridian explorer, but I think HRT mircostreamer is the best considering connectivity to mobile devices and sound wise up to 300$

About the ODAC, I heard a lot of recommendations though its sound to some as flat and very analytically, this is why I am afraid of it, I don't want something to flaten my bass but actually emphasize it ...

Offline Snarii

Reply #17 on: July 02, 2014, 06:56:07 AM
I'm the proud & happy owner of an iFi iDSD nano. For less than $200, it plays anything, PCM, DXD, DSD up to 6.2MHz. With its battery, it's portable with my iPhone (Onkyo HF Player) for low impedance headphones, and it pairs beautyfully with the crack and the mac (Audirvana). Absolutely no regret since the new firmware enabled USB3.0 controllers (all latests machines).
A review in french http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/info/Hi-Fi-Guide/Bancs-d-essai/iFi-Audio-iDSD-Nano-Qobuzissime175549

Bottlehead Crack+Speedball, Heavy modifications (7119, stepped attenuator, shoke, capacitors, ...),  iFi DSD nano, Sennheiser HD-650, Beyerdynamic T1 Gen2

Offline John EH

Reply #18 on: July 03, 2014, 10:37:58 AM
I'm king of the cheap DAC's.  I have

HiFiMeDIY Sabre USB Dac
Nuforce UDAC2
Nuforce UDAC2SE
ODAC
Schiit Modi
Fiio E17
Fiio E07K

Probably leaving something else out.  All are pretty great.  Right now I'm loving Schiit Modi and Fiio E17
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 03:39:43 PM by John EH »

Offline hardisondan

Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 03:59:51 PM
I'm the proud & happy owner of an iFi iDSD nano. For less than $200, it plays anything, PCM, DXD, DSD up to 6.2MHz. With its battery, it's portable with my iPhone (Onkyo HF Player) for low impedance headphones, and it pairs beautyfully with the crack and the mac (Audirvana). Absolutely no regret since the new firmware enabled USB3.0 controllers (all latests machines).
A review in french http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/info/Hi-Fi-Guide/Bancs-d-essai/iFi-Audio-iDSD-Nano-Qobuzissime175549

I am thinking of getting one of those. I am curious, does it perform well as a DAC for non hi-res audio? 99% of my music collection is not DSD/hi-res, i.e. it's just ripped CD's (lossless APE), but I'd like to have the option of getting into more DSD in the future. Why would I buy the standard iDAC if the iDSD does the same job and more?
Dan

Offline Snarii

Reply #20 on: July 17, 2014, 02:31:53 AM
Hi Dan
I've ripped most of my CD collection into flac, and yes the nano treats them like anything else with higher bandwidth.
Attached file : grab of audirvana

I am thinking of getting one of those. I am curious, does it perform well as a DAC for non hi-res audio? 99% of my music collection is not DSD/hi-res, i.e. it's just ripped CD's (lossless APE), but I'd like to have the option of getting into more DSD in the future. Why would I buy the standard iDAC if the iDSD does the same job and more?
Dan

Bottlehead Crack+Speedball, Heavy modifications (7119, stepped attenuator, shoke, capacitors, ...),  iFi DSD nano, Sennheiser HD-650, Beyerdynamic T1 Gen2

Offline i luvmusic 2

Reply #21 on: July 20, 2014, 01:42:11 AM
IMO for $300 you can get a better DAC like the TEAC-UD-H01(MSRP $500-650) it's discotinued but you can still find them brandnew for $250-300.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 01:44:46 AM by i luvmusic 2 »

Offline hardisondan

Reply #22 on: July 20, 2014, 02:47:27 PM
IMO for $300 you can get a better DAC like the TEAC-UD-H01(MSRP $500-650) it's discotinued but you can still find them brandnew for $250-300.

I haven't heard either, but what seems appealing about the ifi iDSD is that it seems to be getting rave reviews and it plays DSD files. There are not many DACs on the market that play DSD in that price range.
And something that bugs me (I don't know why) is that you don't seem to be able to get a USB DAC that  doesn't include a headphone amp. When you already have a great headphone amp (like I hope to soon when I get my Crack working ;-) I'd rather my DAC budget went to making a better DAC... know what I mean?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 02:49:59 PM by hardisondan »

Offline Atraf

Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 04:29:09 PM

Have your tried your Nano with the hd650 ? is it able to drive 300 Ohms headphones as well as 40 Ohm IEM's?

Offline Snarii

Reply #24 on: July 23, 2014, 10:00:56 PM
Have your tried your Nano with the hd650 ? is it able to drive 300 Ohms headphones as well as 40 Ohm IEM's?

Oh yes, it works with the HD650 but considering the 300ohm impedance, the nano amp will obviously not go as far as the Crack : the bandwidth is reduced, the 650 remains veiled. But to be honest, I need to tell that my Crack is now far from stock and its modifications and tube choices widely enhance the HD650 response. For other lower impedances, I have not quality headphone to tell, but reviews seem to consider the nano amp as excellent.

Offline Atraf

Reply #25 on: July 23, 2014, 11:51:57 PM
Thanks for your reply, I am considering the Nano but I don't know what to do,
if I take the nano it will be 90% stationary dac with the crack and 10% portable with IEM, I hope its not a waste of money to buy something that is an all a rounder (portable/dac/amp) instead of just dac for my budget (300$) .. o_0

Offline Snarii

Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 05:29:41 AM
Thanks for your reply, I am considering the Nano but I don't know what to do,
if I take the nano it will be 90% stationary dac with the crack and 10% portable with IEM, I hope its not a waste of money to buy something that is an all a rounder (portable/dac/amp) instead of just dac for my budget (300$) .. o_0

Another advantage of being mobile is the autonomous power (when powered before plugging it) bypassing the USB external power and its possible pollution. And its price remains less than 2/3 of your budget.