Non Bottlehead Parts ID

Grainger49 · 2436

Offline Grainger49

on: April 07, 2010, 10:34:05 AM
I was looking at the box marked "Scavenged Parts" today.  Some are new, most used.  I wondered what a few of them were.  Well, I know a resistor from a capacitor, but... what composition are some of these, what power rating?

Anyone who can throw in here and decode any of the markings would be appreciated.

The back most black resistor says "ACI RN65D."  I think it is metal film, supposed to be "military grade," but have no idea what wattage.

The yellow capacitor is probably a polypropylene film, 0.01uF at 200V I think.  I don't remember after coming upstairs.

The brown resistor is a Dale, but how do you tell the power rating?

The next two resistors going to the right, with the blue goop around the leads at the body are a real mystery.  They can be measured, but what is the composition and what power rating?

The next one to the right has the same blue goop, marked CGW and has the value written on it.  No indication, to me, of the power rating or what its composition is.

The next one, second from the right is one of a number I bought from a surplus place.  I have always been amused by the holes in the end.  These are marked CGW too.  Again, no composition or power rating.

And the one on the right is the same as I have seen many times on industrial circuit boards, the source for this one.  I don't know the composition or power rating.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 11:16:27 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline cvandyke

Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 04:55:16 AM
The power ratings of RN resisters are:

RN50=.05W
RN55=0.1W
RN60=0.25W
RN65=0.5 W
RN70= 1 W

These are military qualified ratings and I believe are derated by 50% as compared to "commercial" ratings. I'm not certain, but I think that all RN resistors are metal film.

CGW is the manufacturer and stands for "Corning Glass Works." RN / CMF series resistors were also made by others including Dale.

I'm not sure about the other resistors. The construction of the capacitor looks a good bit like polyester film and foil caps made by CDE but the font is not right and the CDEs seem to always have a black band on one end.

--Chris

Chris Van Dyke

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 07:48:01 AM
Chris,

Thanks, I knew there had to be some kind of code there.  Next I need the secret handshake.

Do you have any idea why there are holes in the end of the one second from the right?  I believe it is one of the RN65D resistors.  It is a 499k ohm and is soldered to a hand matched resistor.  I have hand matched a number of resistors.

Again, thanks!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 06:52:18 AM by Grainger49 »