Volume knob

Lugnegard · 3617

Offline Lugnegard

on: April 18, 2014, 05:54:24 AM
Hi folks,

I'm about to order a few extras for my incoming Crack and since I dont have the kit at home yet perhaps you guys can help me out? I will replace the volume knob with something a little bit more classy like a polished brass knob, but I kinda need to know the base diameter of the  original first so I dont end up getting a too big or too small knob.
So what's the diameter of the original volume knob?

I will also get an Alps blue velvet, will this one work:
http://angela.com/alpspotentiometerbluevelvet100kstereo.aspx

There are quite few to choose from, don't really know which spec to go with.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Mike in Sweden

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 06:01:02 AM
It is always recommended to build the kit stock first.

The Alps and the stock pot do not have the same shaft diameter, so do be cautious there.

Knob diameter isn't exactly critical.  When you have the plate in your hands, you can cut paper circles to simulate the diameter of the knob you think you might want, then see how practical it is.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Lugnegard

Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 06:18:04 AM
Thanks,
Yes, I know that they are 1/4 and 1/6.  I will get a knob that fits the Alps, instead of the potentiometer that comes with the kit. I'm choosing between a couple of knobs but would like to know the size of the included one first.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 06:19:27 AM
I believe they are around 34mm.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 06:36:28 AM
I believe its the 1.3" version of this http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/EPD-200535.pdf

M.McCandless

Offline Hornet900

Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 12:44:21 AM
I would build the amp with the stock volume pot  as I just installed a new volume pot the other day and dont like it.... I much prefer the bottlehead pot!  , The new volume pot i purchased is called a 100K Tocos Cosmos RV24 .

This Tocos cosmos pot is meant to be good better than the alps.. well reviews say on the website I bought from anyway ( http://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/100k-tocos-cosmos-rv24-stereo-potentiometer-p-9215.html

The bottlehead pot might not look as flashy but it sounds better to me so I reinstalled it  :) 

Austin

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 07:13:03 AM
Can't you put a volume knob that is too large for a snug fit on the stock pot.  Then upgrade?  I mean, if it can be tightened down and is just a bit eccentric there is no real problem.