1st Quickie! With small problem.

jake111 · 4075

Offline jake111

on: April 25, 2014, 10:32:42 PM
Hi all,
Finished my Quickie plus PJCCS and it makes my modded Trends amp really shine. The problem is it gets some volume controlled static plus hum if connected to my Airport Extreme. Also if not connected to the router, the closer it is the more of the same noise. Now if I play music I don't know that I can hear the noise. Still, if there's a cure I'm sure it could only sound better. Any ideas besides not using wifi? This is a wonderful hobby and especially Bottlehead.
Thanks, Jess

Offline jake111

Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 10:37:10 PM
Also, How quiet should it be without any input?
Thanks, Jess

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 02:53:40 AM
Last question first, to judge the internal noise of your Quickie you need to short the inputs and turn off everything else near it.  You have already found that your Airport radiates noise that the Quickie picks up.

The reason for shorting the inputs is that tubes can amplify very high frequencies, they were originally used in radio and television circuits.  Shorting the open inputs keeps the input from acting like an antenna.

Computers and cell phones are often the "perps" generating lots of noise that amplifiers can pick up.  Additionally they can also have noise in the interconnecting USB or other cables. 

If the noise is radiated then moving the offender away helps, as you have already found.  If it is in the cable you need to isolate the receiving device.  There was just one in Crack where going from USB to Toslink eliminated the noise.

Just some background information for you here.  I don't stream music and don't have these problems.  But I want to do it in the future so I am collecting data toward that end.

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 06:25:56 AM
The Quickie should be very quiet, at least mine is. There should be no  AC hum, as it is battery powered. Very little hiss. There is ringing (microphonic), if you touch the tubes. As Grainger suggested, short the input and switch off other non-audio electronics.

Best

Michael

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 06:30:53 AM
Try grounding your airport extreme to earth.  This can be a little challenging if the body is plastic, but doing so may solve your problem completely.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline jake111

Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 04:04:02 PM
Thanks for the advice peoples. I'll try some tonight. Not sure about grounding the router it seems to be a solid piece of plastic.Unless I can ground the negative part of the mini jack that plugs into it. Would that work?

I've never shorted anything intentionally. Could use some instruction on that one and do you short both jacks? I'm really new to this and could use some directions for the total novice.

I re-soldered all the ground wires and everything in line with them. Should I do the positive side to?
Thanks again, Jess

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 06:48:37 PM
You can earth the shell of an RCA jack and that should do the trick.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline jake111

Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 07:35:13 PM
Sound's good Paul.
I will try that after my latest issue if it is one.
This is: I turned off everything radio (phone-airplane mode, wifi, also apple tv), moved the quickie to the farthest room from the spaghetti monster which is my entertainment center. Now amp is battery powered too. So all is grid free.  iPhone as source- off, mute, volume at zero, or unplugged. I'm getting a smooth static/rainy sound with my ear against the speaker. I guess it's much better now since it's balanced between the speakers and quieter. Is this normal?
Jess

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 07:37:38 PM
I'm getting a smooth static/rainy sound with my ear against the speaker. [...] Is this normal?

Yeah, that sounds about normal.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline jake111

Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 07:46:51 PM
 Cool, Thanks so much.
Jess

Offline jake111

Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 07:53:22 PM
Hey,
With trying to ground the Extreme. Can I hack a piece of USB cable and use the ground wire from that cable? Since the USB jack is unused.
Jess

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 08:10:31 PM
It's worth a shot!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline jake111

Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 08:16:25 PM
K.
Which one is the ground wire?
Sorry I haven't a clue.
Jess

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 08:20:35 PM
(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimage.pinout.net%2Fpinout_USB_files%2Fusb-pinout-diagram.gif&hash=98b8c9cb9041f3bf4e29093b3e77499248200bc7)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline jake111

Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 08:35:14 PM
You are great.
Jess