Micro Fonkens flat pack

tsingle999 · 2914

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
on: May 19, 2014, 12:19:11 PM
Bought a pair of the fonken flat pack speakers from planet-10 for my desktop at work. Pretty easy to glue up, cut and glued included felt lining. The wood was nice baltic birch. Used the 3" wk driver because i had tried the wk 6.5" and it had tons of bass. I like the fonkens porting forward as there was no wall behind the speaker in my office. Painted them up in work colors. Took about a month. Let each glue harden overnight and each coat of paint to cure 24hours. 2 color painting was the hardest for me as i dont have a steady hand - kept having to fix my fixes. Been running the speakers hard all day. Finally starting to sound decent. Im sure they will really open up in a week or two.

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline Yoder

Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 02:40:42 PM
Job well done. What will the folks in the cubicles around you think of your music? I would suggest you throw some Clash, Pogues, or Ramones at them just for kicks, but it seems that more people are offended by great classical music than by classic punk now days. Go and figure. Give them some Mozart and Bach!

Offline johnsonad

Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 03:19:51 PM
Nice build! Keep us updated as they break in.

Aaron Johnson

Offline M42

Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 07:16:39 AM
Very nice work! I'm waiting for my Planet 10 FrugelHorn3 flat packs and enabled Alpair 7's to arrive. The Alpairs are not as sensitive as I'd like, but from all accounts they are the driver to install in these speakers.

Jeff

Jeff Hullin

Stereomour(2A3), Eros, Crack/Speedball, Thorens TD160 MKII, Grace F9E, Sennheiser HD600's, Frugelhorn 3's, DIY 8" Subs.

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.