Quickie Pre-amp LED/Resistance Problem

Ryan1928 · 1082

Offline Ryan1928

on: May 26, 2014, 08:51:33 AM
Hey All,

First time here, and am just getting my feet wet in the world of kit audio. I recently purchased a Quickie pre-amp, and have been getting unusual resistance readings. I've double and triple checked my leads and terminals, I re-soldered the kit, and I'm still getting unusual readings and what seems like no power to the tubes (tubes aren't lighting up when on).

I have limited experience with circuits (built a few mono blocs from tube depot, Overnight sensation speakers from Paul Carmody, replaced output transformers in tube guitar amps) and I'm afraid my understanding of where the problem lies beats me right now. I apologize for wasting anyones time, but I'm really enjoying building these kits and this problem is eating me alive! I've scoured posts on this forum and spent a few hours pouring over basic circuit theory google searches, but can't seem to get these readings right.

Heres what I can tell you:

1) The kit came absent an RCA ground lug. I grounded the A-side output capacitor, resistor and connecting lead to the B output lug with an Ace hardware insulated ring terminal. I don't think the problem is here.

2) I'm still in the process of simultaneously finishing the mono blocs and speakers. I have one side completed and working, and learned AFTER my test yesterday, at which point I had taken apart the amp and speaker cross over to finish some aesthetic odds and ends, the RCA cable I used from the Quickie output to the mono bloc is no good. The amp, speaker, and turntable are all non issues.

3) The voltage is fine. I'm getting the exact readings listed in the manual, to the volt.

4) Resistance readings are as follows. In the process, I learned my old digital multi-meter has moved on to greener pastures. I've been using a friends analog GMT-312, first time using an analog meter and some of these readings may be confusing to me as a result. Some can't be denied.

Terminal:
1, 6 Infinite or No Charge (meter has the same action as at terminal 3 and 8, the circuit board, table, etc)
2, 7 Infinite or NC
3, 8 Infinite or NC
4, 9 0 Ohms
5, 10 0 Ohms

Rotary:

1, 4: 100k Ohms
2, 3: Infinite or NC
5, 6, 7: Infinite or NC
8, 9: 0 Ohms
10: Infinite or NC
11, 12: 0 Ohms
A, B: 100k ohms
C, D: 0 ohms

Volume Pot:

A side: 0 Ohms
Center: 0 Ohms
B Side: 100k Ohms

It all has the look and feel of a dumb mistake to me, which could very well be my reading of the multimeter.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 11:43:18 AM
3) The voltage is fine. I'm getting the exact readings listed in the manual, to the volt.

Generally failing resistance checks is an indicator not to turn things on, but since you have this data point, have you attempted to listen to your Quickie?

(The tubes don't light up by the way, that's just the nature of a small battery tube that's this efficient)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man