Out of phase music

rockpassion · 3004

Offline rockpassion

on: June 02, 2014, 08:10:36 PM
I just recently bought a 45 rpm LP  of Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue and listened to it last night.  The music was incredible but instead of being nicely centered in between my speakers it was coming from way to each side of the speaker.  Is this normal?

I have never ever had an album do this.  Sometimes I will find an LP where I get stereo where I can tell that each speaker is presenting something different musically but does not center up like most of my LP's. 

Also, they few Mono LP's I have is always centered between my speakers.  I have run a number of test setup records and with these my phase test is always correct. 

Any thoughts or observations. 

I have a VPI Mk IV with a OL RB250 tonearm with a Shelter 501 MKII cartridge and a Cinemag 3441 step transformer running through an Eros, BeePre combination.   

Looking forward to comments on this.

Richard

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 12:58:33 AM
I got my system out of relative phase (right and left opposite) before Bainjs came over once.  It drove me bonkers.  Then I saw that the plugs at the amps were reversed.

To test this LP just swap the speaker leads on one amp.  See if the guitar ends up in the center.

I don't want to point fingers but right left phase should have been caught during mastering.  Is there a chance you got the wires at the cartridge swapped?

Odd phase problems can drive you bonkers.  I once had a tri-amplified system.  Luckily I was young and had lots of time to sort things out.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 04:57:35 AM

Any thoughts or observations. 

I've never run into this, but I'm sure you could easily insert a toggle switch at the output of the Cinemag to flip a channel over. 

Is this record a reissue? 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 05:02:45 AM
Not sure if you are familiar with Rudy van Gelder's recordings, but the lead instruments are typically "hard panned" left and right. This may be what you are hearing.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline xcortes

Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 06:38:17 AM
I like RVG's panning.

I do have that 45 rpm. Will check it tonight or tomorrow and report back.

Xavier Cortes

Offline johnsonad

Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 12:30:15 PM
You could flip the leads on your cart in one, then the second channel and see of this corrects it. I've got another Kenny record, Round Midnight where the keyboard is probably out phase. It makes for an interesting listen.

Aaron Johnson

Offline rockpassion

Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 11:02:42 AM
Thanks for all the input. I flipped the outputs from my Cinemag and it worked.  My Kenny Burrell sounds amazing. 

Thanks again, I love this forum.

Richard

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers