Using an Electric ukulele

davegr · 2666

Offline davegr

on: June 14, 2014, 08:11:47 PM
Hello , I was wondering if any one has heard a ukulele through a tode?
My idea was to use a pair of tode amps with stereo effects. One question I have is
can it get loud and still stay clean if desired?   
I know loud is Subjective........... I would be looking for clean volume from the pair enough for
a coffee shop open mike or small lounge , house concert. 20 to 30 people.   thanks, Dave

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 07:48:37 AM
With the Tode feeding a 4x12 cabinet inside our office, I can clearly hear it standing outside and across the street. 

We have successfully used the Tode for small concerts as well without the external cabinet. 

You do have a valid point that running the amp all the way clean will reduce the power, but you may find that you still need to use the brake to obtain a pleasant listening level. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 08:55:33 AM
Of course this depends entirely upon how much output your pickup has. If it has a level similar to acoustic guitar pickups then it should get plenty loud for a coffee house. If the level is down a bit it won't drive the amp into distortion as easily as a high output pickup, so you can just turn the feedback down a bit and get clean sound back up at a good level. The other end - getting too loud - is easily addressed with the adjustable brake on the output.

With two amps you could probably drive everyone out of the place.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.