2N2907 vs PN2907

Paully · 3587

Offline Paully

on: June 27, 2014, 08:45:53 AM
On the schematic it calls for a 2N2907 but the directions us a PN2907.  Was curious what the difference is and if it matters.  I wouldn't bother to ask and wouldn't care, but two of them got left out of my kit.  The Queen has been so gracious as to send a pair, no problem, but I happened to notice that I have some 2N2907 transistors in a Radio Shack bag.  Wasn't sure if they worked or if I would be wise to wait until I get the new ones.  Thanks!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 09:08:45 AM
They are completely interchangeable. 

I believe the PN2907 can dissipate a little more heat, but our application isn't anywhere close to taxing those little guys.

-PB

(PS - our main vendors are also phasing out the 2N2907, so we will eventually switch over)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Paully

Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 09:14:49 AM
Thanks for the fast response, that is fantastic.  We will just go ahead and use the 2N2907.  Thanks again!

Offline Tubejack

Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 12:18:03 PM
 .... the JEDEC registered device 2N2907 (and the NPN complement 2N2222) called out the metal can case defined as TO-18, and 400mw.  (Transistor Outline xx).  This is way back in the days (late 1960's) where all transistors were in hermetic sealed metal packages, long before it was understood how to encapsulate in plastic and get the heat out (low thermal resistance junction to case) w/o cracking the die, moisture resistance, etc.  Advances in lead-frame, die attach, die shrink, and plastic technologies made plastic die encapsulation feasible.  PNxxxx (P=Plastic), or MPSxxxx (originally stood for Motorola Plastic Semiconductor, which is now ON semiconductor).  The plastic case is defined as JEDEC TO-92 (or the European IEC defined SOT-54)  Most manufacturers have pruned metal can devices for die free package cost reasons, even the Chinese manufacturers.  Some manufacturers do not spec ft, gain bandwidth product, but this is usually not an issue for GP applications.  Power can be spec'd anywhere from 400-600mw, depending on manufacturer, die size, leadframe, package, etc. 

FAIAP, in 98% of applications, a 2907 is a 2907 ......

Don't get me started on the SMD versions ......

There are 10 types of people in this world,
Those that understand Binary and those that Don't!