3:00AM Smash!

corndog71 · 4335

Offline corndog71

on: July 04, 2014, 11:07:56 PM
It's both late and early.  Finished my Smash at 3AM.  Everything went together almost perfectly with resistance/voltage checks hitting the mark on the first try. 

Here's a couple of quick pics.

(http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss207/corndog642/Bottlehead%20Smash/IMG_9154_zpsb1085df2.jpg)

Bottlehead S.E.X. 2.0, Smash, and Reduction.

(http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss207/corndog642/Bottlehead%20Smash/IMG_9158_zpsc74609d7.jpg)

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline wullymc

Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 02:07:25 AM
Congratulations!

You have a beautiful set up there.  You should be proud!

Enjoy the sweet music...Dave

Dave
Project RPM5.1 with 2M Bronze/Graham Slee Era Gold V/Quickie with PJCSS/Paramount 1.1 300B/Woden Valiant

ODAC/Crack/DT880 600ohm

Current Project:  Beepre!!!

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 02:39:56 AM
Nice job!

You might want to consider upgrading the iron on your S.E.X. Amp. You can get a big jump in sound quality by getting rid of those speco's.

EDIT to add link.

http://bottlehead.com/?product=iron-upgrade-kit-for-s-e-x-kit-2-0
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 02:56:06 AM by Natural Sound »

Offline setterp

Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 03:48:27 AM
Very nice work Corndog!

I'm looking forward to digging into my new Smash.

Do you have any advice on stripping the individual CAT5 wires?  After reading through the manual that looks like it will be a very time consuming process.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 03:50:50 AM by setterp »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 06:02:24 AM
I'm impressed with the work and the photograph.  My Sony DSLR is giving me fits with bad contrast/metering.  I only wish I could get a dark photograph like that.

Offline corndog71

Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 08:05:55 AM
Nice job!

You might want to consider upgrading the iron on your S.E.X. Amp. You can get a big jump in sound quality by getting rid of those speco's.

Yeah, that's on my list of things to do.  I've also been considering converting it to 6EM7.  I understand it has a lower output impedance.

I'm impressed with the work and the photograph.  My Sony DSLR is giving me fits with bad contrast/metering.  I only wish I could get a dark photograph like that.

You might not be too happy with the fact that I shot this with my $150 Canon point and shoot.  It has a long shutter setting and I adjusted it for 15".  It turned out pretty good but I think I can do better.

Been listening for about an hour so far today and the Smash sounds very good.  It matches the laid back sound of the Reduction.  Soundstage width extends outside my speakers.  Even bone stock it sounds very very good! 

Now what to do with my Ultimate Quickie...

Rob

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 08:20:43 AM
Quote from: corndog71
I've also been considering converting it to 6EM7.  I understand it has a lower output impedance.

From what I've read everyone that has done that winds up going back to the 6DN7. But hey, eXperimentation is what its all about.

Quote from: corndog71
Now what to do with my Ultimate Quickie...

Thats an easy one. Buy it a Quicksand Battery Powered Solid State Amplifier.  ;)

http://bottlehead.com/product/quicksand-battery-powered-solid-state-amplifier/

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 08:55:23 AM
Hmm, i have a point and shoot Cannon too but tube filaments always show up pink/purple when i try to photograph them regardless of exposure setting.  Any tricks to get around that?

As for the quickie, the answer is obvious to me, upgrade the S.E.X. amp iron, then use the old iron on the quickie to make a headphone amp out of it.

Love those purple tubes by the way, i find them totally mesmerizing to look at :o

M.McCandless

Offline corndog71

Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 02:46:59 PM
Hmm, i have a point and shoot Cannon too but tube filaments always show up pink/purple when i try to photograph them regardless of exposure setting.  Any tricks to get around that?

Check to see if you have a long shutter or night time setting.  Obviously, you don't want the flash on.  And then get a tripod.  I use one of these.

http://amzn.com/B000EVSLRO

Finally, use the timer so that the camera has time to settle before it takes the shot.

Rob

Offline corndog71

Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 02:53:51 PM
Very nice work Corndog!

I'm looking forward to digging into my new Smash.

Do you have any advice on stripping the individual CAT5 wires?  After reading through the manual that looks like it will be a very time consuming process.

I use a simple nail clipper.  It takes just a few light squeezes as you go around the wire to break the insulation.  Then just pull it off.  I've done it this way for Teflon insulated wires for years.  It looks worse than it really is for the Smash.  They give you a little extra cat 5 in the kit you can practice on.

Rob

Offline corndog71

Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 02:59:29 PM
By the way, the Smash does sound better than the Quickie for anyone on the fence.  I'm finding myself drawn into the rhythm of the music more.  Tapping my toes, drumming on my legs, etc. 

Nice job from the Bottlehead crew!  :)

Rob

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 05:45:01 AM
I'm glad to see the return of the 0D3. I kind of miss the way that looked in my FPIII before I installed the "extended" upgrade. I'm thinking about picking up a smash when Bottlehead releases the EL84 amp they are talking about. That might be a while yet though.