BeePre vs. Smash

Sonido · 1498

Offline Sonido

on: July 07, 2014, 04:43:59 PM
I recently completed building the new Smash DHT preamp. Having come from the Quickie, I found the Smash to be a night and day difference. The Quickie w/ PJCCS gave quite a kick in the lower end and make music more dynamic and fun sounding. The Smash on the other was dead neutral to me, perhaps the most neutral tube amp or preamp I've ever heard. In fact, when I first added it to my system, I couldn't tell any difference immediately. After further listening I found that it kept the frequency curve the same, but improved the sound in other areas like imaging, staging, and brought out a new level of refinement. In short, it seemed to clear up some of the clutter in fast, dynamic music. Before I had trouble differentiating say 192 kbps vs 320 kbps, but with the Smash, it becomes pretty pretty obviously, many times annoyingly ;D. This has me wondering how you would describe what the BeePre does? Is it also dead neutral or does it add it's own signature? Does it take the level of refinement the Smash provides to another level? Or does it do its own thing much like the complete difference between the Quickie and Smash; a night and day difference from both?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 05:07:20 PM
BeePre does continue on the path or refinement you hear going from Quickie to Smash - quicker dynamics and even better resolution. And it tightens up the bass and gives it more clean punch. It also has quite a bit more headroom.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.