Resistance problems

Nav.B · 1279

Offline Nav.B

on: July 20, 2014, 10:07:07 AM
Hello  :)

I'm thinking I must have flipped something. I just finished looking over the amp with schematic earlier today and couldn't see my mistake(s)

My problems: (all of these tests made with all 4 tubes in their sockets).
A1: Tests at 5,3Ω.       Manual states: starts high, drops to 4Ω
A2: This one is a bit odd it tests at 1,05mΩ using the 2MΩ tab, but using the 20MΩ tab it tests at 7,5MΩ.            Manual states: varies with volume/balance settings, could be 0Ω to 50KΩ
A3: Should be good according to the manual. Tests at 200kΩ.      Manual states: greater than 100KΩ (OL)  (what does (OL) mean? I think I saw it in the manual at some point but can't seem to find it again).
A4: Tests at 4,1Ω.       Manual states: 5-6Ω with 300B in socket.

B1: Tests at 4,1Ω.       Manual states: 5-6R with 300B in socket.
B2: This one tests exactly like A: which seems to be way too much, but I guess it might be some "wonkiness" with the multimeter I used.
B3: Tests at 460kΩ.    Manual states: greater than 100KΩ (OL).  This is about twice of what I got at A3 but it is at least more than 100kΩ.
B4: Tests at 5,3Ω.       Manual states: starts high, drops to 4Ω.

In my tests here it seems that A1 and A4 have somehow had their values switched, the same goes for B1 and B4.
With regards to A2 and B2, I have no idea really. Turning the volume knob to differen't levels gives no change in the resistance value.

Hope you can help   :-[

Offline Chris65

Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 11:57:29 AM
Hi,
There is thread regarding this, unfortunately it's not a 'sticky'. There is an error in the manual when he tube pin designations got swapped around.
PB amended the readings: http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,5787.0.html
What you want is ~4 Ohms on either A/B1 or A/B4, then something slightly higher than that on the companion pin. 
A2/B2 will be whacky, and shouldn't be zero.
A3/B3 will be 0-50K, depending on the volume control position.

So your A/B1 & A/B4 readings are good. Likewise A/B2.
Not so sure about A/B3 though. The guys at BH will chime in I'm sure.

Offline Nav.B

Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 06:53:17 PM
Thanks a bunch mate.

I actually clicked through 6 pages of beepre forum but managed to not notice your thread there  :-[

Really good news about 1 and 4. I am however, still worried about A2 and B2 since the manual says that it should be somewhere between 0 and 50kΩ, depending on the volume setting. And mine is well into megaΩ

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 01:03:55 AM
Paully and I went through the checkout and got "Bad" readings also.  Then I looked where they were attached and the terminals had different values than the tube pins. 

After a little head scratching we went on and the voltages and sound were just fine.

Offline Nav.B

Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 06:19:58 AM
Sounds promising. I think I'll go ahead then in a few days and start voltage testing.