Seduction Power Supply Upgrade

Alonzo · 4861

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
on: July 25, 2014, 10:57:27 AM
I've upgraded everything on my seduction but the power supply (i.e. new caps, chokes, resistors, RCA's, you get the drift).  I'm now looking to a new ground plane and the power supply.  Is the Eros PS (transformer, PS board, shunt, etc.) available for purchase?  There's mention of it back years ago, but I haven't found anything other than the "mention".  If not, I'm looking to do an outboard CLCRC to an umbilical, any guidance on number of pins and length?

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 11:11:19 AM
The Seduction chassis is far too small to accommodate the PT-5 and its power supply board, and the complexity of an umbilical can drive you pretty nuts.  (For example, if the umbilical is unplugged, what happens to the power supply voltages?  If you hot plug it, does it arc and destroy contacts in the plug?)

The PT-1 in the Seduction has just enough high voltage current to support a gas regulator, and this can work well if you have the C4S upgrade. 

It is also worth considering the cost of adding these upgrades to a Seduction, vs. what the Seduction could bring on eBay applied to a Reduction or an Eros (Both of which are improvements over the Seduction in various ways).

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 02:00:23 PM
The trick thing to do to a Seduction is mount a 0A2 under the chassis for HV regulation. I used one like that many years ago.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Alonzo

Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 09:57:25 AM
I may be forced to part out the Seduction and put the earnings into an Eros, I'm not comfortable with selling my handiwork yet.  It's Ok to burn down my own house, I'd hate to be responsible for someone else's.

Thanks for the idea Doc, I remember seeing some miniature tubes at a supply warehouse here.  That'll give me something to tinker with for awhile.  I wondering what it'll do to the sound.  I'm also thinking of trying chokes in place of the C4S, mounted in a box behind the power transformer.

Alonzo

Offline saildoctor

Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 11:18:33 AM
Just FYI I modified my own Seduction to use a OC3 regulator tube by using the PT-1 as described here http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,1964.0.html.  It takes ripping out part of the old power supply, installing a new choke, C4S, and full wave rectifier.  Still working great!  I'll see if I have the same pictures floating around and reinstall them on that forum post.

Kerry Sherwin

45 Paramounts, 6SN7 Extended FPIII, OC3 regulated Seduction
Blumenstein Orca Deluxe / 2x Orca Subs
VPI Classic / ADC CD-100x

Offline Alonzo

Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 06:19:46 PM
Thanks Kevin,
That's a lot of good info.  This is going to take on a life of it's own.  I suffer from "scope creep" often and I see this growing and growing.  Much greater than the turntable/cart and amount of records I have.  I need to think about where I want this to end up and maybe just take PB's advice and get an Eros.
I went by Halted (surplus electronics store) and picked up some OA2's and OC3's.  I'm going to try to model this out and see what it gives me.

Alonzo

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 06:34:15 PM
I am glad to see that there are still a few folks out here, who are willing to stick a few bits together and see where it takes them...John

John Scanlon

Offline Alonzo

Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 06:42:31 PM
Oh that's not a problem, finding time between launches, grandkids and golf is the problem.  I'm always open to the experimental vein of this hobby.  Got another monstrosity like this in the garage waiting on transformers.

Alonzo

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 06:35:48 AM
I don't see even one clip lead in there.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 08:16:44 AM
I'll see if I have the same pictures floating around and reinstall them on that forum post.

That would be great, thanks.

Offline saildoctor

Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 06:12:23 PM
Done.  It sure did take some shoehorning to get everything fit, but works.  I can see the attraction to considering an Eros instead - I'm sure it's a great sounding unit.  Eventually I plan on upgrading to something that has separate power supply channels like the Reduction kit.

Kerry Sherwin

45 Paramounts, 6SN7 Extended FPIII, OC3 regulated Seduction
Blumenstein Orca Deluxe / 2x Orca Subs
VPI Classic / ADC CD-100x

Offline Alonzo

Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 06:24:08 PM
That's really sweet looking.  I stripped down the Seduction power supply today, will plan out the PS over the week and start soldering Saturday.  For now it's just for the fun of it, I've decided to save my beer money for an Eros and call it a day.  The Seduction will hold me over until the Eros is in and stable.

Alonzo