Additional RCA output - line level

danox574 · 1420

Offline danox574

on: July 27, 2014, 02:28:10 PM
In my Stereomour, I wired an output prior to the amplifier circuitry - basically allowing me to send whatever line-level signal out of the device on RCAs that's selected from the input (originally for the Crack headphone amp, but I use this output for recording sources as well now).  I asked my questions about it here:

http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,3666.msg32741.html#msg32741

When i ordered the Beepre I was planning on just using the pair of outputs for signal distribution - one to power amps, one to my headphone amp or recorder - but then realized the output level from the Beepre is not going to be the .3V RMS line level that I currently have going over to the headphone amp/recording deck, it's going to be much higher.  No specs on the Beepre page, but I saw that the Smash DHT is up to 7V RMS output!  So I wouldn't want that, and frankly I'd like a non-volume controlled output route to my recorder so I'm not fussing with the levels of the recorder when I twiddle output volume.

Is the design of the Beepre (with Beequiet) suitable for running something from the output of the input switcher over to an aux RCA output for this purpose?  The circuit in the Stereomour was no issue and I just installed two additional Neutriks in the back of the alder base.  Would there be any issue with doing the same in this preamp?

Or is there a better alternative I haven't considered?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 03:03:42 PM
If you tap off just after the switch you will be fine, but beware that your source will be seeing the input impedance of the BeePre in parallel with the input impedance of your recorder as its load. If they are both high (the BeePre is pretty high) it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline danox574

Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 03:17:55 AM
recording deck has a 47kohm impedance - what's considered 'high' or 'low' in general terms?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 05:56:04 AM
High or low is going to be relative to the source output impedance. The load created by the input impedance of the tape deck and BeePre in parallel will be roughly 25K ohms. If your source output impedance is below, say, 5K ohms you will probably be fine.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline danox574

Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 08:29:30 AM
Sources are a seduciton phono pre, a Oppo 971, and a Logitech Transporter.  I think it's all good, no older gear.  Wouldn't you typically find high impedance outputs on older gear?