Wood Base Dimensions?

levlhed · 5541

Offline levlhed

on: May 04, 2010, 08:55:15 AM
Can someone post the exact dimensions of the wood base?
I've got an idea for a custom base, but I need to know the exact dimensions including the drop in for the plate on the top.
I suppose a drawing w/dimensions would be ideal.

Technics SL-1200 "MKE" ~> DL103r w/Ruby Cantilever & Contact Line Stylus ~> Audioquest PT-9 ~> Bobs Devices Cinemag SUT ~> Vista Audio PHOHO-1+ ACLE ~> Bottlehead Crack w. Speedball ~> Beyerdynamic T1

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 09:27:42 AM
I think what you really need is the chassis plate dimension that your base will fit around. It is 10" x 6" x .080" thick. The rabbet around the inside of the base top is about .125 wide and about .125 deep. The bases we use are 3-1/2" tall and you will need one at least that tall if you plan to install the upcoming Speedball upgrade.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline levlhed

Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 10:08:25 AM
That'll work for sourcing the lumber I have in mind, I'll just shoot for 4- 12" x (at least) 4" pieces at whatever thickness I can get..

Technics SL-1200 "MKE" ~> DL103r w/Ruby Cantilever & Contact Line Stylus ~> Audioquest PT-9 ~> Bobs Devices Cinemag SUT ~> Vista Audio PHOHO-1+ ACLE ~> Bottlehead Crack w. Speedball ~> Beyerdynamic T1

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 08:38:43 AM
Just took the weights off my base this morning and it came out very well -- all square, nice even rabbet all the way around, sharp edges, and all-in-all the way it's supposed to.  I wasn't quite so luck with my s.e.x. base, but as I'm about to build a slightly larger version of the s.e.x. with a new top plate and base, it's not a big deal.

Now that I can "see" it in it's full form, I don't think it has nearly much of a shoe-box look as I was suspecting, and a little round-over on the top and bottom edges should give it a nice proportioned look overall.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 10:33:09 AM
I would ask you to post a picture but that might be silly.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 07:02:04 AM
Grainger,

No problem, just don't know how to post a pic that's on my hard drive.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 07:12:48 AM
There is a link somewhere when posting.  I think first you have to go to the "Preview" window and then below the post window, to the left there is a hot key that says, "+ Additional Options."  That brings up the "Attach:" option.  And a browse hot key. 

Will that work for your keyboard reader?