Pre amp for active speakers

phildent · 2388

Offline phildent

on: September 04, 2014, 01:44:23 PM
Hello from England.Have been watching bottlehead for a while and am thoroughly impressed with your knowledgable and friendly forum and amazing value products.
Time has now come to jump in and order but before I do could some knowledgable soul please give me a bit of advice.
I have a pair of John Bowers Active One speakers ,which I love.I am at present using the pre out on a Krell Kav 300i but yearn to return to valves,many of which I have enjoyed in the past.
The active amps in the speakers have an input sensitivity of 0.775v,and input impedance of 30kohms.The leads from pre to speakers are about 9 feet.
Is the smash going to make a good pairing.
Thanks in advance
Phil

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 01:47:03 PM
Hello Phil,

Yes, the Smash will work quite nicely with that setup.  The 30K input impedance is plenty high, and 0.775V of sensitivity will require minimal voltage from the preamp itself.

Let us know if we can provide any additional assistance.

Sincerely,
Paul

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline phildent

Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 02:01:41 PM
Wow! Thanks for that Paul.Will now look into ordering and finding out postage costs.I have no doubt Customs will want their rip off share as well.We have a wonderful sytem in England where we pay Customs via out general taxation to do a job and they sell it off to a private company who charge us again for the priveledge of paying tax to customs who we have already paid to collect it.Is'nt Britain wonderful.
If you have a minute compare prices on hifi collective for the rip off prices we get charged over here but please don't put your prices up to match.
Phil :)

Offline Stedes

Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 02:47:40 PM
Wow! Thanks for that Paul.Will now look into ordering and finding out postage costs.I have no doubt Customs will want their rip off share as well.We have a wonderful sytem in England where we pay Customs via out general taxation to do a job and they sell it off to a private company who charge us again for the priveledge of paying tax to customs who we have already paid to collect it.Is'nt Britain wonderful.
If you have a minute compare prices on hifi collective for the rip off prices we get charged over here but please don't put your prices up to match.
Phil :)

Hi Phil

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your first project. I'm currently building a Smash.

I used to live in the UK as well so know exactly what you're talking about but since moving to Australia I've realised that it could be worse....

All the best...

S

Offline phildent

Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 11:02:37 AM
Thanks S.Am watching your build thread with great interest,keep up the good work.It is a very useful primer for when I start mine.
I am primarily a woodworker having built many speakers to a pretty good cabinet standard.
I am hoping to use one of the many exotic wood blanks I have for the cabinet hollowed out so all the wood is one piece
I have some beautiful spalted beech which would look superb.
Phil

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 09:45:25 PM
Hi Phil,  If its any help my Sex kit arrived last month the total duty and parcel force handling charge came to £37 

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!