Closed back

JamieMcC · 5776

Offline JamieMcC

on: September 06, 2014, 11:07:36 PM
Hi guys I'm hoping for some recommendations for a pair of good sealing closed back mid tier cans I have owned the ATH W1000X and from a acoustic view point they are really very nice indeed the draw back for me was no matter how much I like the presentation the head wing band system they use just didn't work for me never feeling secure the supplied pads where also shocking tactilely.

Any pointers appreciated, will be pairing with the Sex but it would be nice if they would also be ok running out of a Crack. Sorry to say the bottlehead phone is not a option for aesthetic reasons.

Cheers

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline grausch

Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 02:01:01 AM
Hi Jamie,

Head-fi has the Battle of the Flagships thread where you can get some more information. I got the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 ohm as I needed a closed-back phone for the Crack and the price was right. Since you want something to pair with the Crack, you won't have that many closed-back options. You would have a lot more options if you chose separate phones for both the Crack and the Sex.

Cheers,

Gunter

Gunter Rausch

Modded Bottlehead Crack
Modded Stereomour with Two-tone Orcas

Offline Adrian

Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 02:27:22 AM
Check out www.innerfidelity.com.  Tyll Hertsens has good no BS reviews.
I really enjoy the "in the room sound" of my NAD VISO HP50s (about $300), but this may not be the mid tier your speak of.

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 05:04:50 AM
Thanks for the pointers I was reading through the reviews of the Beyer DT 770 pro 250ohm earlier the general consensus looks quiet favourable.

The NAD VISO HP50s  I was not aware of so will take a look at them also thanks.

My other half has started moaning about the leakage of the my T1's on the bedroom rig so really looking for something that I can switch to of a evening if for the last hour or so when listening to appeaser her. 

Offline STURMJ

Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 04:46:49 PM
Head-Fi.org is also a good source for researching headphones.

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 10:39:06 PM
Hi Jamie,

Head-fi has the Battle of the Flagships thread where you can get some more information. I got the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 ohm as I needed a closed-back phone for the Crack and the price was right. Since you want something to pair with the Crack, you won't have that many closed-back options. You would have a lot more options if you chose separate phones for both the Crack and the Sex.

Cheers,

Gunter

Hi Gunter the DT 770 250ohm are looking a good candidate with the additional advantage of being below budget as well. I did notice they are also a popular choice for modding which they are said to respond well to. 

Check out www.innerfidelity.com.  Tyll Hertsens has good no BS reviews.
I really enjoy the "in the room sound" of my NAD VISO HP50s (about $300), but this may not be the mid tier your speak of.

The NAD VISO HP50s have some great feed back but the impedance looks to much of a mismatch for running with the Crack. Having tried it with a couple of low impedance cans  (ATH W1000X and AKG Q 701) they where a better match out of my S/S amp. But still quiet listenable to on the Crack much better than I had anticipated. T he NAD VISO HP50s is a fair bit lower than both of them impedance wise which looks more of a mismatch they do look very good value for their performance.

What amp are you running yours with?

Cheers Jamie

Offline Adrian

Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 11:41:24 PM
OP:
JamieeMcC is correct - the low impediance HP50s are much better on my S.E.X. 2.1.
I didn't fully read your post and missed where you wanted something to use on the Crack OTL.

I have a pair of 70's vintage Koss Pro 4AA closed circumaural cans (250 ohms) that sould great on the Crack.
The Pro 4AAs can still be gotten (about $90) but I do not know the quality of the current vs. original models.
My near 40 year old Koss have great bass extension but this may cast a veil on the upper frequencies.
BTW, these are heavy cans!

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 12:17:08 PM
So I ended up ordering the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 ohm they arrived yesterday and I have been pleasantly surprised by them so far. They seal well are comfy and seem perfectly suited to enjoying listening with while not disturbing my other half.

Cheers all

Offline denti alligator

Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 12:59:51 PM
What about the Beyerdynamic DT 660? Would those work with the Crack?

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 01:14:36 PM
What about the Beyerdynamic DT 660? Would those work with the Crack?

I don't believe there has been a high impedance version produced of this particular model.  The standard model is not a good match with the Crack. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline J. Mauro

Reply #10 on: December 27, 2014, 06:40:48 AM
Can't say enough great things about the Denon D2000 and D5000. They are incredible.

Jeremy Mauro

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #11 on: December 27, 2014, 08:05:04 AM
Can't say enough great things about the Denon D2000 and D5000. They are incredible.

Too bad they have been discontinued.

Offline Strikkflypilot

• Shellac fiddler
Reply #12 on: December 27, 2014, 06:08:22 PM
And only 25 ohms impedance.

Home system:
Sources: Ibasso DX90, Google Chromecast Audio optical out
DAC: Schiit Gumby
Amp: Bottlehead Mainline
http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=7463.0
Phones: HD800S

Office:
Sources: Iphone/ Ipod
DAC: Dragonfly Red+Jtrbug
Amp: Crack/Speedball heavily modded
Phones: HD580,HD600 grilles

Offline HF9

• Zynsonix.com
    • Zynsonix.com
Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 07:14:45 PM
I've been working with the Beyers for many years and have probably owned a dozen different pairs at one time or another. They are excellent headphones. The DT770s, especially the 80 and 250 ohm versions, can benefit from some dynamat mass damping on the inner cups to tighten up the bass, as well as a recable to reduce fatigue during longer listening sessions. The 600 ohm versions are a little better balanced in my humble opinion, with a slightly more prominent midrange and less sibilant highs. You can procure the 600ohm drivers from Beyer USA pretty easily if you'd like to "upgrade". The Crack drives the 600 ohmers without issue.

In addition, there are some unique earpad options out there. Leather pads work well if they are perforated on the inside. They boost the perceived midrange, which I feel is the main weakness of the 770 and 990. Avoid the non-perforated leather pads from Beyer, they add far too much resonance and bass and make things sound bloated (again my humble opinion).  In addition, Turbulent makes the leather headbands for some sleeker looks.

As someone else mentioned here, the Denon D2000 / D5000 and D7000 are fabulous headphones, but the impedance doesn't match the Crack. The D2000 is the best value headphone I've ever owned, it can easily compete in the $700 range after recabling and tweaks.

My DIY Audio Electronics Blog: DIYAudioBlog.com