First Time Builder / Flummoxed

Ajak85 · 4623

Offline Grainger49

Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 06:22:05 AM
Sorry, I do not have a Stereomour manual so I can't tell you what the resistance should be.  But you don't have the terminals shorted.  That was what I thought might have happened.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 05:25:54 PM
Here's something silly that I never mentioned:

Are you 100% sure that the 4 pin socket on the offending side isn't in backwards?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Ajak85

Reply #17 on: September 26, 2014, 12:47:50 PM
Problem solved!  I found the short I'd been looking for during a session of troubleshooting earlier this week.

After scrutinizing every solder joint that I had made I felt confident and tried another round of resistance checks.  Again, this went alright, the same results as before.  Then I loaded in the tubes and fired up the amp and no luck, still had no voltage across A1 & A4.

Scratching my head, I shut off the amp and checked the resistance of the path to ground from the tube heater circuit, with the tubes still loaded this time.   And there it was, I measured between the center tap of the hum pot and ground and found 12.5 ohms, not the 1.2K like the B side.

I still didn't know where the short was but I knew it only existed when the tubes were in place.  But I had already swapped the 2A3s as previously suggested and that didn't clear it up.  That left me with the 12AT7, I removed it and that cleared the short.

At first I thought I might have bad tube, but I checked for shorts between the pins and it seemed okay as far as I could tell.  I started tracing out the wires to the 9-pin tube socket and then I found it.  Not what I had expected.

The short was on the power transformer,  terminals 10 & 11, on the winding side of the lugs, not the solder joints that I had been inspecting.  Both winding ends were bent out a bit and bridged with solder.  I had to snip it and bend them back.  Terminals 10 and 11 are the return side of 12AT7 heater circuit and the line side of 2A3 circuit.

After that I ran through the voltage checks quickly and they were right on...

Thanks again for your responses and input, every suggestion helped me to get a little closer

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: September 26, 2014, 02:33:15 PM
Wow - never seen that before. A really nice catch, would never have thought of looking there. Intelligent application of information gathered does the trick again  :^)

Paul Joppa

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #19 on: September 26, 2014, 06:17:08 PM
Geez, that would've taken me hours to find!  Good job working through it and finding the issue. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man