"New" Crack + Speedball issues

Niiro · 1026

Offline Niiro

on: September 15, 2014, 01:33:54 PM
So I ordered a 'prebuild' bottlehead Crack + Speedball on head-fi. (First mistake)

Got excited, plugged in the Sylvania 7236 NOS + Tung Sol 12AU7. Hooked it up to my Modi and HD600s, and it worked pretty good. (Second mistake)

It was fine until I heard an obnoxiously loud pop in the left ear, immediately shut everything off. Tested the HD600s to make sure there were no damaged drivers (they're fine, thank god) let it cool down.

Re-rolled tubes with stock RCAs that it came with, turned it back on, (Third mistake) immediately got a (semi) loud pop from the RCA 6080 with a visible white/blueish light from the base of the tube. Switched it right off again.

I've looked through the manual, none of the connections seemed loose, but obviously I can't tell if there's cold shoulder joints.

Now onto the questions... What should I do first? Order a new 6080? I do need a new soldering iron, so what's something inexpensive to use?

Should I resolder everything after I get a new soldering iron? Also, do I need to deconstruct the amp since it doesn't have any of the plain Crack components only everything to get the Speedball.

Obviously I'm in a bit of a pickle, and I've never really done too much soldering before, but I'm willing to fix it. (Else I'm out $400, which sucks)

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 01:39:01 PM
If you didn't build the amp, and just bought it online, return it.

If you can't get a return, we have a repair service available:

http://bottlehead.com/?product=repair-service

If you'd like to fix the amp yourself, you will want to buy a soldering iron, digital volt meter, and some small hand tools.  The place to start will be with measuring the voltages inside the amp, according to the instructions in the manual.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Niiro

Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 12:20:25 PM
Seems like I just had issues with the power tube. (Like I said, first one made a huge audible crack sound, and the second one flashed)

I swapped it out with a Sylvania 6080 and have been listening to Spotify for the past hour. Zero noise. Zero distortions, no hum, no pop, no crackle, nothing. Tube glows perfectly fine, no inconsistencies.

I guess the original tubes got damaged in shipping. If I have any issues I'll definitely send it off to you guys.

Thanks!