What dip in low end DB will I get if I use a pair of 2.0uF output caps

Cleet Torres · 2262

Offline Cleet Torres

What dip in low end DB will I get if I use a pair of 2.0uF output caps in my Smash? I was rummaging through my parts bin and came across a pair of brand new 2.0uF Dynamicaps that I bought and had forgotten about.   :-\

I have a pair of 0.22 TFTF V-Caps (found at the same time, also long forgotten) which I can bypass them, but would rather hold onto them for something else.

Thanks
cleet.

Offline Grainger49

Changing the final cap will either give you a few low bass notes or not.  The roll off is 3dB per octave.  And octave is 8 notes.  Changing this cap will change the frequency where the roll of begins.

Before deciding I will give you Paul Joppa's advice.  Try both and see if you notice a bass roll off. 

I tried a hand full of caps and cap combinations on my Eros.  I ended up, first, with a single 0.22uF were the design was 0.47uF (it comes with a 1.0uF as an upgrade.  I could hear no loss of bass from the stock 1.0uF.  I preferred the sound of these well broken in KK Teflon 0.22uF to any of the alternatives.  Some of those I tried were as large as 3.0uF and it made no difference in the bass of my system.  It is time for you to give yourself a smorgasbord of cap flavors.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 04:06:03 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Going from 2.2uF to 2uF will be inaudible to all except maybe whales. (Especially if you're using our amps)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Grainger49

And to add, there will be no dip in bass, just a gentle roll off.

Offline Cleet Torres

Going from 2.2uF to 2uF will be inaudible to all except maybe whales. (Especially if you're using our amps)

Oh dear, so my wife is going to be complaining then?  ;)

Offline Cleet Torres

Changing the final cap will either give you a few low bass notes or not.  The roll off is 3dB per octave.  And octave is 8 notes.  Changing this cap will change the frequency where the roll of begins.

Before deciding I will give you Paul Joppa's advice.  Try both and see if you notice a bass roll off. 

Yeah, let me try. It's not like it's going to cause smoke and flames and unless I try I'll never know how they sound.

Regards
Cleet