Luxembourg Crack failing resistance check after pot upgrade [solved]

grausch · 4082

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Yeah, there won't be a switching function anymore.  This is common with most headphone jacks made. 

You may be able to find something like a 2.49K 3W resistor that is physically larger with longer leads, that may give you some extra flexibility for installation. 

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Also, before you go in for surgery, have you tried bending the metal into place? If you push against the metal ridge on the side closer to the socket with the shaft of a screwdriver while holding down the tab, you can force it back into contact. Costs nothing, takes basically no time, and probably works. I just de- and re-formed a jack to test the theory. Took maybe 5 seconds (including the time I spent finding the screwdriver...)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 07:39:56 AM by fullheadofnothing »

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline grausch

@Josh: Thank you for your reply. I had previously tried a) pulling the solder lug forward with pliers and b) pushing the lug from behind. It wouldn't budge. I had not tried bending the metal to the ground (didn't know there was no contact at the time), but based on your response I bent it by hand. Resistance checks are now 0 ohm at both T6 and T10 with no headphones plugged in.

Once I figured out what it was, I was not too worried about it. However, it is great to have it solved.

Regarding the jack upgrade, that would be done for the same reason as the pot upgrade - it allows me to tinker a little and learn a lot in the process. I do not expect to hear any real difference in sound quality, but it is fun to work on the Crack.

Gunter Rausch

Modded Bottlehead Crack
Modded Stereomour with Two-tone Orcas